[rec.birds] rec.birds and rec.pets: more historical rambles.

steve@utzoo.uucp (Stephen Smith) (12/18/87)

As Don Jackson in article <9046@utzoo.UUCP> pointed out, the original
mandate for net.rec.birds (i.e. rec.birds) was birdwatching and general
nature observations. This bit of historical fact was poo-pooed by
Chuq Von Rospach in article <35652@sun.uucp>:

   "... original intent tends to have little power on the net ..."

Until I see some evidence for the above sweeping generalization - and the
current feud in rec.birds serves to contradict it nicely - I
have no choice but to ignore "Rospach's Rule for the present.

I suggest that "original intent" *is* an important consideration
in judging whether a topic is appropriate for a given newsgroup:
rec.birds has served its original mandate faithfully (though not so
much in the non-bird nature sections, mind you) since its inception,
with only the most sporadic of pet budgie/parrot postings to mar its wake.
Can you imagine the anarchy if original mandate and official newsgroup
definitions aren't heeded by the net... there'll be owners of sentient
washing machines cluttering up soc.singles, misogynistic pugilists
rampaging through soc.women, and other mutations too horrible to mention.

So, in following Don's lead I'm throwing up a few more historical
tidbits to confirm that the initial intent was directed towards
birdwatching and that at least a rudimentary attempt to pick
a name acceptable to all was undertaken (so where were the
pet birders then, eh?). On with the show.

> Autzoo.1489
> net.general,net.news.group
> utzoo!andy
> Thu Mar 18 15:29:37 1982
> Birding anyone?
> Are there any birders/naturalists out there who might be interested in
> a newsgroup for birdwatchers? It would be interesting and useful to
> know about waves of migrants coming your way or what the latest rare
> or unusual sightings are. How about moon gazing--anybody out there
> interested? I find the idea of being able to "monitor" the progression
> of migrating birds particularly exciting. I guess there are all sorts
> of possibilities, I just don't know if there are enough birders out
> there to warrant yet another newsgroup. Whaddya say?? If you are interested,
> please send me mail and I will summarize and report back to net.news.group.

} Autzoo.1514
} net.news.group
} utzoo!andy
} Mon Mar 29 08:14:00 1982
} Birdwatchers Unite!
} There seems to be enough interest in a birding newsgroup to warrant the
} creation of one. I propose net.rec.birds. If there is any objection to
} this name, let's hear it now. The reason I ask is that most respondents
} assumed (??) the name would be net.birds. Let's get this trivial detail
} cleared up and get the group started.

In article <21923@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> Max Hauser writes:
~ ...
~ In point of fact, rec.pets, which does of course exist,
~ has historically been useless for bird-pet enthusiasts and they
~ have ended up here. I last read it (net.pets) in 1985; it
~ was essentially net.cats at that time. ...

Well, well. It appears historical precedent can be a valid argument
to some of the aviculturalists, at least some of the time. For Mr. Hauser's
edification here's a sample from the dim dark embryonic times of rec.pets.

] Newsgroups: net.pets
] Title: new newsgroup net.pets
]
] The response to my suggestion for a "dog net" has been very favorable,
] hence this article.  At the suggestion of many, it will be open to
] discussions concerning all animals, not just dogs. Despite the name,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Ah. Interesting no? Looks like birds would fit here

] the subject need not refer to pets only, but to anything involving
] household animals.  (Interpret this last statement broadly.) ...
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  And here as well ... even the domestic types.

Looks like the parrot ranchers have found a home. A little work
with kill files or the 'n' key, and ...voila! the news from cat
enthusiasts, and caniculturalists will be ... gone. Almost like having
your own newsgroup. Heh, heh.

+  Stephen Smith || UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!steve        +
+In the begining there was net.rec.birds, and it was good, and all the   +
+birders did wave their Leitz and cry Hossanah ... or something like that+