[rec.birds] Budgie Owner Bites Back.

steve@utzoo.uucp (Stephen Smith) (12/19/87)

In article <31@cfiprod.UUCP> Susan Scheide writes:

> Oh Skippy, Skippy, Skippy.  I didn't even have to LOOK at the sender
> of the message 9086 to know it was
> from the Univ. of Toronto.

Oh, Susan, Susan, Susan. I didn't even have to LOOK at the sender of the
message 31@cfiprod.UUCP to know it was from rec.bird's resident budgie
champion.

> Has anyone else in netland noticed the pompous, condescending tone
> these "gentlemen" seem to be honor-bound to adopt when posting.

Did you really think my posting requesting help in selecting new
binos pompous? Or Jim's posting on counter-current warming in
duck feet, condescending?

> I honestly believe I have discovered
> some new phobia running rampant in Toronto.  These alleged zoologists
> all seem to hate pet birds.

To presume that Toronto in general indulges in the same hobby as
some of us here at utzoo is really crayoning outside of the lines.
And as much as I'd like to think that a number of us here at utzoo are
zoologists, I don't think I'd go as far as to suggest  that we
even dislike certain pet-bird owners, let alone all pet birds.

> Why?  Is it because they are against parrots or against keeping birds
> as pets?  Did they all have terrible childhoods without pets of
> their own to love?

I've never owned a parrot, but I had a pet budgie for several years
when I was young. Since then I've had frogs, toads, snakes, turtles, mice,
anoles, rats, gerbils and cats (not all at the same time you must realize).
I liked them all in their own way.

> Perhaps there are some people up there who don't fit my generalization -
> you can say "generalization" can't you?  Sure, you did already!

I can now that you've given me a good long look at a half dozen of 'em ...

> As it has been noted many times, the file containing descriptions
> of groups doesn't say "pet birds excluded."  I believe it says
> "Discussion of birds and birdwatching."  Tool.

Er, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that you're the first
person to remark on the lack of exclusions in (your) newsgroup
definition file (our rec.birds definition is "Birdwatching" period).
Don't you think it might be the weeniest bit impossible to expect definitions
to include what newsgroups *aren't* about, as well as what they are?
And really Susan, calling someone a "Tool", a most pejorative
term. You've probably hurt Skippy's feelings. Tsk, tsk.
--
+     Stephen Smith || UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!steve       +