[rec.birds] Lesser Black Backed Gulls

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/16/87)

	For anyone who is interested:

	I have finally found a fairly reliable way to tell lesser black
	backs from flocks of swirling gulls;  the LBB's seem to have
	an *extremely* long winged "jizz".  This works for me with second
	year gulls and later.  This may not work with first year birds,
	but at least if I see a long-winged gull, I am sure to check it
	for a lesser black backed.

	Also, on a field trip I led to Brigantine (NJ) this past Sunday,
	we had the best look at an LBB that I have *ever* seen.  Swimming
	in the water, less than 50 yards away, through a Nikon 20x scope.
	Absolutely beautiful!  If you are in New Jersey, and need the bird,
	by all means give Brig a try.

	Greg Pasquariello

pratt@vanhalen.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (12/19/87)

Um, what's a "long winged `jizz'"?
Lorien Y. Pratt                            Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Busch Campus
(201) 932-4714                             Piscataway, NJ  08854

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/22/87)

In article <2725@vanhalen.rutgers.edu>, pratt@vanhalen.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:
> Um, what's a "long winged `jizz'"?
> --

Sorry, but the wording of that question really cracked me up :-) :-).

"Jizz" is a term used to describe a general impression of the bird.  I think
it comes from wartime pilots who identified enemy aircraft by "general impres-
sion and shape" (giss).  A long winged jizz is my impression of the bird.  It
seems to me to be a gull with extra long wings.

Greg Pasquariello