[rec.birds] All That Jizz.

snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) (12/21/87)

In article <2725@vanhalen.rutgers.edu>,
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:

>Um, what's a "long winged `jizz'"?

Jizz.   It is  British birding slang, and refers to knowledge and use
of a particular set of characteristics by a particular birder in
in a particular situation to identify a particular species.
One can determine what something is by knowing its `jizz'.
Thus, a Lesser Black-backed Gull has different flying jizz than
other gulls, at least for Greg Pasquariello.  Another example of `jizz'
is that for me, gull flight is much less static than fulmar flight;
I have certainly seen enough of each (many many thousands) to know, in
an instant, which is flying by.   `Jizz' is an extremely useful word,
and part of the fun is that `jizz' can not be explained.  Real jizz must be
learned by experience.  You must have the `Knowledge'.  A simple example,
for even the most beginning beginner, is Starling jizz and Robin jizz.

You know one from the other. Period.  Why?  (That is, what allows
you to make the identification in an instant, rather than think?)
The why, is jizz.  If you have to look something up in a field guide,
then you have not used `jizz' to make the identification.  For that
species at least, you have not yet received the `Knowledge'.
As well, my jizz for Robins and for Starlings is likely different
than yours.  But my jizz works, and so does yours (assuming that you
know Robins and Starlings).

The idea of `jizz' has been popularized in North America by
an extremely amusing book: _The_Little_Black_Bird_Book_ by Bill Oddie.
Unfortunately, it is out of print, though your local library
may have a copy (maybe not... much of the slang which is explained is
rather vulgar).  Oddie described the mind-set of the fanatical
birder... the `ticker'.  We all have seen these people (there are
several born-again-tickers here at utzoo).  Tickers are interested
in doing just that, making ticks on their list.  Twitchers are
a special form of tickers (when I have suggested calling this
group rec.bird.twitch, it was an allusion to `Twitching').
Twitchers get so excited at the thought of ticking that their
bodies literally being to twitch all over...

You get the idea.  Oddies book contains some hundred odd pages of
detailed description of the fanatic birder, and the terms to be
used to describe all his or her activities.  I heartily recommend it.
__
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/23/87)

In article <1987Dec21.094052.2857@utzoo.uucp>, snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) writes:
> several born-again-tickers here at utzoo).  Tickers are interested
> in doing just that, making ticks on their list.  Twitchers are

	Up with tickers!! :-)