[rec.birds] hairy woodpecker behavior

shamus@bcsaic.UUCP (Steven McBride) (12/18/87)

(I'm tired of seeing subscribers to this group argue on what should and
should not be posted. Since I've been a subscriber there hasn't been
enough material to worry about what's posted.  I suggest that the
people who don't want to see articles on parrots just set up kill files
(for 'rn') to kill those articles (conversely the parrot people can
kill all articles not dealing with parrots). Enough!)

We have a couple of feeders hanging in an almost dead maple tree (10')
in the back yard.  This winter we've had a pair of hairy woodpeckers
coming to feed. Their behavior has been quite interesting. Rather than
breaking the small black sunflower seeds directly (like the jays,
etc.), the woodpeckers drill a hole in the maple, fly to the feeder and
retrieve a seed, fly back and insert the seed in the hole, then use
their beak to break the seed open and consume the insides. Since they
use the same hole over and over again for breaking seeds, they are not
storing the seeds for later use.  It's been a lot of fun watching
them.
--
Opinions expressed are strictly my own:
Shamus Mc Bride		uucp:      uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!shamus

mclark@suntri.UUCP (Michael Clark ) (12/29/87)

Speaking of Hairy woodpeckers, has anyone found a reliable method of
telling a Hairy from a Downy, without having one of each present?

Thanks,

Michael Clark
Sun Microsystems
Cary, NC

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/29/87)

In article <126@suntri.UUCP>, mclark@suntri.UUCP (Michael Clark ) writes:

> Speaking of Hairy woodpeckers, has anyone found a reliable method of
> telling a Hairy from a Downy, without having one of each present?

The most reliable way to differentiate the two is by the size of the bird,
and the relative bill size.  I realize that size can be a subjective thing,
depending on conditions, the view of the bird, etc.  But the relative bill
size is nearly always reliable.  The downy has a tiny little pin-bill, whereas
the hairy has a large spike.   In addition, although it is hard to see, the
hairy's two (three?) outer tail feathers are pure white, where the downy has
a couple of black spots on the same feathers.

Hope this helps.

Greg Pasquariello

duhon@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Duhon) (12/29/87)

> Speaking of Hairy woodpeckers, has anyone found a reliable method of
> telling a Hairy from a Downy, without having one of each present?

Petersen's lists a few things, but I find that there are 2 easy things:

1) size. the downy is a bit larger than a chickadee/rosebreasted nuthatch/
	junco. the hairy is quite a bit larger, more like a cardinal/robin.

2) bill size in relation to head. the downy bill is almost petite (for a
	woodpecker) but the hairy is heavier and longer. about as long as
	the head is wide.

		joey ihnp4!ihlpf!duhon