[rec.birds] Black-hooded Parakeet=Nanday Conure

snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) (01/04/88)

In article  <6716@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, Daniel M. O'Brien <dob@ihlpa.UUCP> writes:

>In article <431@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>> ... they turned out to be a pair of Black-headed Nanday.
>
>Ah, the rare and elusive Nanday Conure, Nandayus nenday.  The only
>representative of its genus.  "General plumage green, paler and more yellowish
>[various desciptions of plumage deleted....]
>(_Parrots of the World_, Joseph M. Forshaw, T.F.H.
>Publications, Inc, 1977, pg 407.)
>
>How lucky you are to be able to report a sighting.  Their natural habitat is in
>Argentina, SA.

How right you are, Daniel.  The natural habitat of this bird _is_ in
South America.  I don't really agree that "rare and elusive" are appropriate
adjectives for this species, however.

In case anyone gets the wrong idea, this species, also known
as the Black-hooded Parakeet (`Black-headed' by some), is an
introduced exotic.  As is another parrot, the Monk Parakeet.  The
Black-hooded Parakeet is seen often enough to have its way into the
new Peterson (Field Guide to the Birds, 1980, p. 178), where it is
described as follows:

                      " 12" (30 cm)(S. America) Black head and
                        beak.  N.Y., s. Ont. (large flock)."

Though it comes from South America, you need not go that far to see it.
I would certainly like to get this one on my introduced bird list,
but I just have not been in the right place at the right time.
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto