[rec.birds] a *real* parrot posting

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/28/87)

This happens to be a rather appropriate article (I think) considering the latest
content of the net.

While driving to the inlaw's house (yecch!) this Christmas, I spied two rather
long tailed birds in a tree near a cornfield along a major highway (208 in
Fairlawn NJ).  Upon closer inspection (which consisted of cutting across 2
lanes of traffic, making an illegal U-turn, and parking on an on-ramp to the
highway), they turned out to be a pair of Black-headed Nanday.

A ploy by the parrot owners perhaps :-) ?

dob@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Daniel M. O'Brien) (01/03/88)

In article <431@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> ... they turned out to be a pair of Black-headed Nanday.

Ah, the rare and elusive Nanday Conure, Nandayus nenday.  The only
representative of its genus.  "General plumage green, paler and more yellowish
on underparts; head black; throat and upper breast washed with blue; thighs
red; rump, lower back, and under wing-coverlets yellowish-green; outer webs of
flight feathers blue; upper side of tail olive-green tipped with blue;
undersides of flight and tail feathers grey; bill black; iris dark brown; legs
brownish-pink."  (_Parrots of the World_, Joseph M. Forshaw, T.F.H.
Publications, Inc, 1977, pg 407.)

How lucky you are to be able to report a sighting.  Their natural habitat is in
Argentina, SA.
--
Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
AT&T Bell Laboratories  Room IH 1B-237

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (01/04/88)

> [Stuff about the field marks of the nanday...
>
> How lucky you are to be able to report a sighting.  Their natural habitat is in
> Argentina, SA.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not.  If it is, well they
really were Black-headed Nanday (yes, from SA), probably released, doubtfully
stray.  And yes, I know what I am talking about.

If this is not sarcastic, then I apologize for the above flame, and say that
the description fits to a 'T'.