[rec.birds] Etymology of Gyrfalcon and some other tidbits...

@utzoo.uucp (snell) (01/14/88)

In article <88@scovert>, jonl@sco.UUCP (Jon R. Luini) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone could give me some detailed information on
>the origination of Gyrfalcon, the correct pronunciation
>(grr-falcon, jire-falcon, or what?) and any other interesting info.
>I figure it's about time i learned more about something which i have been
>so associated with for the past year and a half. From what i understand,
>a Gyrfalcon is a white falcon (the name of my band is "Falcon White",
>thought up by my friend) and i have grown more interested in falcons
>as time has progressed, so any information would be appreciated.

Gyrfalcons are large, usually whitish, birds of prey.  There is more
than one morph (colour phase) of this species, and some are very dark
indeed.  They breed in the very high arctic, right up to Ellesmere Island
at >80 degrees north.
They winter in the very northern boreal forest, though occasionally
may be seen in the south (south would be near the northern part of the
continental USA).

The females are bigger than the males (for reasons which are incompletely
understood).

For a general reference, try the _Revised Birds of Canada_ by E. Godfrey,
which is available in any decent bookstore.  Another excellent general
reference, though likely only available in a good library or by special
order for much $$$) is _Eagles, Hawks and Falcons of The World_ by
Brown and Amadon.  As well, there was an article on Gyrfalcons in a recent
issue of _Equinox_.

Pronounce it as jeer-falcon or gear-falcon (both rhyme with beer...)

And as to derivation, I would refer you to _The Dictionary of American
Birds, Revised Edition_ by E.A. Choate.

From Choate, is the following:

  "The first syllable, the root _gyr_, seems to have caused a great
   diversity of opinions among etymologists.  Here are some:
   (1) Webster's New World Dictionary, Germanic, _ger_, "spear";
   (2) Albertus Magnus, L. gyro, "to circle," from the bird's habit of
   circling;
   (3) Funk and Wagnalls New Standard Dictionary, Gr. _hieros_, "sacred,"
       as only royalty might hunt with them;
   (4) Skeat traces the word after several stages back to HG. _gir-_ for
       _giri_, "greedy" (whence also _G. geirer_, "a vulture");
   (5) Coues quotes the Century Dictionary, "not connected with _L. gyrus_,
       `a circle' but with _G. geier_, `greedy'";
   (6) The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology says, "The first element
       (of Gyrfalcon) is obscure." Various forms "have led to unjustifiable
       attempts to relate the first syllable to _L. gyrare_, `gyrate,'
       and Gr. _hieros_, `sacred.'"  In spite of the fact that the term
       _Hierofalcon_ Cuvier, and early generic name, seems to lend some
       sanction to the Greek origin, it is most likely that the first element
       in the word is related the G. _geier, "greedy";
   (7) Weekley suggests ON.  _verthr_, "worthy," and that _gyr_ is due to
       wrong etymology, confused with gyrate.

  "Various spelling of the word have not contributed to its etymological
   clarity, as Coues notes that we have in English, "gerfaulcon, gerfaucon,
   gerfawcon, jerfaucon, gierfalcon, girefaucon, gyrfaucon, and gerfauk
   among others with many identical or similar forms in other European
   languages."  He remarks on the spelling as follows: "_Gyrfalcon_ is the
   worst, _gerfalcon_, the better, _jerfalcon_ the best spelling of the
   name, if we regard the etymology of the word."  It is quite possible Coues
   was not overfamiliar with the terms used in falconry which differentiated
   between the male and female.  Despite the welter of words, _gyrfalcon_
   was commonly the proper name for the female, as Swain states: "The male
   being formerly called the Jerkin (either diminutuve of Jer or else from
   Jerkin, a short coat, hence indicating inferior size)."  With Dr. Coues
   thus disregarded we can appreciate the contribution of the American
   Ornithologists' Union Check-list for standardizing the common bird names."
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto