[rec.birds] Bay Area Birds

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (01/26/88)

I've enjoyed the postings of the Palo ALgo Bay (S.F. area?).  Black Rail
is one I need (I've seen Yellow up north on their breeding grounds--hard
bird to see even there!). (Note: should be "Alto" above).  Tell me more
about the Sharp-tails.  I suppose that they must be the prairie birds--
"nelsoni."  Are they increasing along the Pac. Coast?

A few Boreal and Hawk owls in southern Ontario--but a slow winter for
winter birds so far.  I saw a couple of Pine Grosbeaks north of Toronto
last week-end--not unusual here, but a change from the ordinary stuff.

--Jim Rising
--
Name:   Jim Rising
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (01/29/88)

In article <1988Jan26.085935.1998@utzoo.uucp>, rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) writes:
> Tell me more
> about the Sharp-tails.  I suppose that they must be the prairie birds--
> "nelsoni."  Are they increasing along the Pac. Coast?

	Yes, they are the brighter plumaged subspecies, Nelsoni. They have
more extensive orange color in the face and breast. The field guide indicates
that there is a small number of them wintering regularly on the west coast.
Let me tell you - this is a SMALL NUMBER. This year there is only one bird
that has been found at the Palo Alto Baylands and only two or three other
reports on the Rare Bird Alert. Last year there were three of them at the
Baylands. This small poulation, coupled with their extremely secretive habits,
makes them a difficult bird to see. Even when you know exactly where they are,
it usually takes a very high tide to get them up into view.

	I don't have any information on the population trend of this
wintering group, and I don't know if any useful information can be produced
from such a small sample size. I just thank God that any of them show up
at all.

> A few Boreal and Hawk owls in southern Ontario--but a slow winter for
> winter birds so far.

	I'll trade you two sharp-tails for one each boreal and hawk owl.
                   ( if only I could find two sharp-tails )

good hunting,
Mike