[rec.birds] Invisible sharp-tails

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (02/06/88)

I'm not surprised that Sharp-tailed Sparrows are so hard to
detect.  The ones I saw at Palo Alto Baylands were always
CRAWLING THROUGH the pickleweed, never on top of it.

I heard another cute story about invisible birds.  Seems
someplace in Colorado some folks set out rodent traps and
started catching all kinds of Sedge Wrens in a place where
they had never been seen---and they still haven't!
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ihnp4!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!john

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/09/88)

In article <1350@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
> I'm not surprised that Sharp-tailed Sparrows are so hard to
> detect.  The ones I saw at Palo Alto Baylands were always
> CRAWLING THROUGH the pickleweed, never on top of it.

	A couple of weeks back, on a high tide, I was at the Baylands and
went to find the sharp-tail. When he (she?) made his appearance, he sat in
the lower branches of a bush for some minutes and then started feeding along
the edge of the water; all in plain sight and within about 20 feet of a
half dozen birders. Go figure these guys. :-)

> I heard another cute story about invisible birds.  Seems
> someplace in Colorado some folks set out rodent traps and
> started catching all kinds of Sedge Wrens in a place where
> they had never been seen---and they still haven't!
> --
> John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico

	Last fall I was in Chicago visiting my family, and my brother (also
a birder) was in from Colorado. We went to Montrose harbor, down on the
lakefront, to a place called the "magic hedge" (so called for its ability
to attract the most interesting migrants, especially warblers). The hedge is
a row of short, thick bushes about 30 yards long and 10 feet wide, with 3
or 4 trees thrown in. Next to the hedge is a circular clump of thick bushes
about 30 feet in diameter.

	While we were there, a sedge wren was seen in the circular clump.
Since both my brother and I needed this bird for our life lists, we decided
to work at it. We stood about 10 yards from the edge of the clump were the
wren was seen and pished our brains out for about half an hour; getting only
glimpses of movement from the bushes. We continued birding the area for a
while, only to be drawn back to the clump later for another try at the wren.
We repeated the same procedure as before, again with little luck. A local
birder was watching us and asked us what we were looking for. When we told
him - "sedge wren" - he casually told us; "well, why don't you just walk up
to it and grab it?". He proceeded to demonstrate the method; walking up to
the edge of the clump where the wren was seen. The wren moved away from him
but seemed uninterested in moving into the interior of the clump, rather
staying along the edge. He followed the wren, walking it around the edge of
the clump in a circle; getting good looks at it, since the bird seemed to
suddenly become interested in this intruder in its domain. My brother and I
quickly joined in; taking the wren for a walk. The bird finally moved under
a low-lying plant that had very broad heart-shaped leaves. We approached the
plant from opposite sides to within 3 feet or so. I looked down between the
leaves and saw the wren's head peering up at me (it was soooo close). It
finally moved out from under the plant and stopped right out in the open
with the two of us standing right over it for about 15 or 20 seconds, and
then it moved back into the clump. What a view! And here we were, hoping to
get just a good enough look to make a positive ID. :-)

	Also, that day, I got the best looks at Peregrine falcon that I have
ever had. There were two of them roosting in a tower on the breakwater. One
was an immature that was hacked along the lakefront earlier in the summer,
and the other a migrating adult (both were of the Tundrius subspecies). We
scoped them to our heart's content from about 50 or 60 feet.

Good hunting,
Mike