[rec.birds] Goodbye to Dusky Seaside Sparrow

jr+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Rosenberg) (02/19/88)

I just received a report from "Defenders of Wildlife", a Washington, DC based
group, that the dusky seaside sparrow is now extinct.  The last known d. s.
sparrow died on June 16, 1987 at Walt Disney World.  I know that species
disappear all the time & maybe some people consider it commonplace.  But I,
for one, feel extremely saddened by the extinction of a species & will never
consider it "commonplace".

Well, I'll avoid ranting and raving here, that isn't the purpose of this
group.  But, it seemed like an appropriate place to mention the incident & say
goodbye forever to the dusky seaside sparrow...

Jonathan Rosenberg

P.S. There are, of course, many good animal rights groups, & this is not meant
to imply that other groups are not worth supporting.  But, if you are
interested in the work of "Defenders of Wildlife", their address is

Defenders of Wildlife
1244 19th Street, N. W.
Washington, D. C. 20036

pag00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Pria Graves) (02/20/88)

In article <oW74i7y00VsC4a00Tw@andrew.cmu.edu> jr+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Rosenberg) writes:

>I just received a report from "Defenders of Wildlife", a Washington, DC based
>group, that the dusky seaside sparrow is now extinct.  The last known d. s.
>sparrow died on June 16, 1987 at Walt Disney World.  I know that species
>disappear all the time & maybe some people consider it commonplace.  But I,
>for one, feel extremely saddened by the extinction of a species & will never
>consider it "commonplace".
>
>Well, I'll avoid ranting and raving here, that isn't the purpose of this
>group.  But, it seemed like an appropriate place to mention the incident & say
>goodbye forever to the dusky seaside sparrow...

I have marked my office copy of Birds of N.A. in their memory.
--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amdcad,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

(Disclaimer:  even I don't necessarily agree!)