[rec.birds] Jackdaw in CT

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (02/23/88)

Some of you may remember my posting a while ago, of a Gyrfalcon in New Haven
Connecticut.  Well, if you made a long trip to see it, kick yourself now.
Had you waited until this past weekend, you would have found not only the
Gryfalcon (it's still around), but if you looked carefully at all the crows,
you would have found a Jackdaw.

The bird is frequenting the dump (with the gyrfalcon), and stays in the
company of a fish crow.  If anyone would like directions, or further details,
just email me, or phone me at the number below.  Happy birding!

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!gp
(201) 952-1190

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/26/88)

In article <489@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> but if you looked carefully at all the crows,
> you would have found a Jackdaw.

	In a recent issue of Birding magazine, an article told a story of a
French ore carrier travelling to Quebec that picked up a flock of Jackdaws
south of England. About 30 to 50 birds exited the ship at Quebec and, I assume,
dispersed through the area. The article went on to say that a heated debate
would most likely occur concerning sightings ( human assisted and all that ).
With a flock of that size, I suppose that the establishment of a breeding
colony is a distinct possibility.

	I'd be very interested in what your state's rare bird commitee thinks
of this bird ( are they documenting it as a legitimate state record? ).

Good hunting,
Mike