[rec.birds] Cedar Waxwings

tjo@dasher.UUCP (Tom Ostrand) (02/26/88)

Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen groups of up to 20 cedar
waxwings around the Forrestal Center in Princeton.  Today was the
jackpot: about a hundred of them, concentrated in 2 trees.  There
were some berries lying on the ground nearby; about ten birds
at a time flew down to check things out, then a car came along and all
went back to the tree, then another ten down to the ground, etc.

I was standing about ten feet away from the spot, and as long as
I didn't move, they weren't upset.

Tom Ostrand
tjo%cadillac.siemens.com@princeton.edu

Tom Ostrand
Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories
105 College Road E.
Princeton, NJ  08540

(609)-734-6569

tjo%cadillac.siemens.com@princeton.edu

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/26/88)

In article <470@siemens.UUCP>, tjo@dasher.UUCP (Tom Ostrand) writes:
> Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen groups of up to 20 cedar
> waxwings around the Forrestal Center in Princeton.

	I saw about 50 or so in a tree down in Ventura last weekend. An
interesting exercise with Cedar Waxwings is to check the tips of the tails.
Some have been found to have orange tail tips instead of the usual yellow.
Haven't seen any myself though.

Good hunting,
Mike