[rec.birds] Xantus Hummingbird -- What is it paired with?

snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) (02/24/88)

In article  <15792@oliveb.olivetti.com>, mjm@oliven.UUCP  writes:

>	I thought that you all might be interested in the fact that there
>is a Black-Fronted ( Xantus ) Hummingbird in Ventura, Ca. This is a Mexican
>species and is normally found at the southern end of Baja. From what I hear,
>this is the first U.S. record in 70 years. I just came back from a weekend trip
>to the L.A. area and had a chance to see it. It built a nest in someone's
>backyard and is evidently incubating eggs ( no one knows whether they are
>fertile or not ). [...]

This is interesting.  Perhaps you could tell us if there are two, or, if
it is hybridizing, what species is it paired up with.

I assume that if 700 people have gone to see it, there is little doubt
as to its true identity.
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/27/88)

In article <1988Feb24.151422.15862@utzoo.uucp>, snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) writes:

> >From what I hear,
> >this is the first U.S. record in 70 years.

	I heard this while I was down there, but after returning, the rare
bird alert said that it was the first U.S. record ever. I don't know which is
correct, but it's a rare bird in the U.S.

> >It built a nest in someone's
> >backyard and is evidently incubating eggs ( no one knows whether they are
> >fertile or not ). [...]
>
> This is interesting.  Perhaps you could tell us if there are two, or, if
> it is hybridizing, what species is it paired up with.

	I have not seen any eggs in the nest ( the property owner won't allow
close approach to the nest; which is just as well ), but the bird's behavior
at the nest indicates that it is sitting on eggs. My thought was that perhaps
the bird has not achieved copulation with a male, but has laid infertile eggs
going through the motions ). Hybridization is certainly a possibility, as this
is somewhat common in the hummingbirds. Other hummers in the area where 2
broad-billeds ( a male-female pair ), anna's, and allen's. There is also a
possibility that a male xantus was in the area and split right after copulation
( another common behavior in hummers ). I guess only time will tell.

> I assume that if 700 people have gone to see it, there is little doubt
> as to its true identity.

	I have little doubt as to its true identity. I deliberately checked
through my Mexican field guide and my North American field guide, trying to
find and eliminate any similar species. Also, it would be hard to believe that
at least a few members of the California rare bird committee haven't gone to
see it.

Good hunting,
Mike