[rec.birds] give me a break! Really: give us all a break!

simpson@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Patricia Simpson) (03/02/88)

In article <1988Feb27.172540.5737@utzoo.uucp> jackson@utzoo.uucp (Don Jackson) writes:

> parrots, children, IQ tests, puzzle solving, different cultures, cetaceans,
> etc. etc.

  WHAT IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT?  Why is there such raving animosity
between the so-called two groups of people who use rec.birds?  The original
writer was sharing some of her experiences with a particular bird.  I found
it entertaining and enlightening, particularly since I've never raised a
bird and so know very little about them.  The response to that posting was
NOT entertaining or enlightening, but an oblique attack on the original poster
via a critique of the use of the word "intelligence".

  Crows are intelligent, it seems to me.  And if I were to post observations
about the diversity of sounds with which crows communicate, I am certain that
no long, vilifying harangues would follow.  Correct me if I'm wrong: I suspect
that poster #2 does not like poster #1 as a person, because poster #1 keeps
captive birds.  This is valid.  If that is the case, then poster #2 should
say so.  Conjectures about the nature of intelligence could begin a fascinating
discussion in rec.definitions.of.intelligence.

In conclusion:
  Say what you mean.  There are serious issues for discussion here, regarding
the morality/immorality/causes/effects/joys/sorrows of capturing and
raising birds.  If this is what the argument is about, argue it!  But please
cut out the personal attacks and wandering diatribes; they serve no purpose.

jla@inuxd.UUCP (Joyce Andrews) (03/03/88)

(1)
>   Crows are intelligent, it seems to me.  And if I were to post observations
> about the diversity of sounds with which crows communicate, I am certain that
> no long, vilifying harangues would follow.  Correct me if I'm wrong: I suspect
> that poster #2 does not like poster #1 as a person, because poster #1 keeps
> captive birds.  This is valid.  If that is the case, then poster #2 should
> say so.  Conjectures about the nature of intelligence could begin a fascinating
(2)
> In conclusion:
>   Say what you mean.  There are serious issues for discussion here, regarding
> the morality/immorality/causes/effects/joys/sorrows of capturing and
> raising birds.  If this is what the argument is about, argue it!  But please
> cut out the personal attacks and wandering diatribes; they serve no purpose.

(1)
I knew a wild crow who "hung out" at a public riding stable where
I taught riding.  The crow learned to mimic the teachers and
would yell "trot" in the instructor's voice when the horses were
walking.  Many of the beginner's horses had become voice-trained
over the years, and it caused a bit of a problem.

Question is:  was it a coincidence that the crow would yell
"trot" only when the horses were walking, or did he have some
idea of what would happen if he yelled the word when the horses
were walking or standing still?  And why did this wild crow, of
thousands that flew over the stable every year, stay and learn to
talk?

(2)
That's fodder for an interesting discussion.  I have a parrot.  I
also have fish in an aquarium.  I also have a dog, a cat, two
domestic ferrets, and a python (most have been purchased by my
children).  I never thought anything wrong with having a dog, cat
or domestic ferret, because they are NOT wild animals but bred to
be domestic pets.  The bird, the fish, and the python, however,
are "tamed" even if they were born in captivity.  Now that the
question is raised I am wondering if I am environmentally
consumptive (wow!).  I usually put the fish back out on the reef
when they get too big for my 55 gallon aquarium (I live in the
Florida Keys and communicate electronically via Indianapolis),
but I can't send the bird or python "home."  Perhaps I should be
trying to prevent further capture?  I don't know.  What are the
ideas of others who read this net?  Parrots are really no
different from dusky seaside sparrows or hummingbirds, when you
think about it.

--
	Joyce Andrews King
	ihnp4!inuxd!jla