[rec.birds] Life List rules

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (03/03/88)

While on a recent field trip with a group of birders that I don't usually
bird with, the subject of life lists came up.  It turns out that their
group will add a bird to their life lists if they simply hear it, or get
a glimpse of it, whereas I (and my birding buddies) will not take a bird
unless I get an exceptionally good look at it.  I am not criticizing either
method, but I am wondering how the rest of the country does it.  Please let
me know what criteria a sighting must meet in order for you to add the bird
to your life list.

Some of the more interesting (bizarre?) criteria that I have heard are:
	- One couple will not take a bird on their individual list
	  unless the other has seen it.

	- One person will not take a life bird (even if he sees it) unless
	  he found it.

	- One guy told me (a joke I hope) that he just started his list over
	  and only takes copulating pairs!

Drop me line!
Happy birding

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!gp

dmark@sunybcs.uucp (David Mark) (03/04/88)

In article <499@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>While on a recent field trip with a group of birders that I don't usually
>bird with, the subject of life lists came up.  It turns out that their
>group will add a bird to their life lists if they simply hear it, or get
>a glimpse of it, whereas I (and my birding buddies) will not take a bird
>unless I get an exceptionally good look at it.  I am not criticizing either
>method, but I am wondering how the rest of the country does it.  Please let
>me know what criteria a sighting must meet in order for you to add the bird
>to your life list.

[several lines deleted]

The only real rule of life listing is, in the immortal words of Ben
Feltner:  "It's your list!"  As long as the list is for your own enjoyment,
then count whatever you feel like counting.  If you are in a friendly
competition with birding buddies, then you just need to agree on a common
set of criteria.

The ownly 'formal' rules for listing that I know about are those designed by
the American Birding Association.  To add a bird to your North American
or World Life List, it must be (1) SEEN and identified by the lister;
(2) wild and unrestrained when observed.  There are some subsidiary
rules that cover birds netted (for banding) and released (not countable
at the release site for 24 hours; this prevents someone from netting
a bird, phoning Bert Lystor, who drives across the state, and sees it just
as they release it).  ABA rules are usually interpreted such that if
you see an outline WITH NO FIELDMARKS, from which a clearly-identifiable
sound comes, then you CAN count the bird.  But, no matter how well you
hear it, and how unambiguous the sound is, if you don't catch a
glimpse, you cannot count it.

Before I joined the ABA, I counted heard birds (as long as there was no
chance that I was hearing a mockingbird or a starling).  For a while
after I joined the ABA, I kept two life lists:  my own, and the version
adapted to ABA rules.  But now, ABA rules come naturally to me, and I
didn't count Black Rail, even though I was in the immediate presence
of one doing its "kicky-doo" in a salt-marsh in Maryland.

So, if you compare lists, use standarized rules.  ABA rules are as good as
any.  If you don't compare, publish, or tell your list totals, then

          "It's your list!!"

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (03/04/88)

In article <8981@sunybcs.UUCP>, dmark@sunybcs.uucp (David Mark) writes:
> In article <499@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> >While on a recent field trip with a group of birders that I don't usually
> >bird with, the subject of life lists came up.  It turns out that their
> >group will add a bird to their life lists if they simply hear it, or get
> >a glimpse of it, whereas I (and my birding buddies) will not take a bird
> >unless I get an exceptionally good look at it.
> >
> The only real rule of life listing is, in the immortal words of Ben
> Feltner:  "It's your list!"

	I agree that it is a matter of personal choice. In order to claim a
life bird, I must personally identify it to species using field marks. I will
take no one's "word for it". I will use vocalizations as a field mark, but I
will never claim a lifer that I don't see. I believe that vocalizations alone
are fine for a CBC or Birdathon.

> There are some subsidiary
> rules that cover birds netted (for banding) and released (not countable
> at the release site for 24 hours;

	I had this experience with a yellow rail, which I recounted to the
net some weeks ago. While I got some excellent looks at the bird when it
was captive and as it was released, I still didn't count it. In our local
Audubon newsletter, a regional compiler told the tale of the rail and touched
upon the subject of "to count or not to count". However, he gave no personal
guidance, saying only that it was a matter of personal choice ( he didn't say
what his personal choice was ).

	I have also "delisted" birds. For example, I had listed Lesser Golden
Plover some years ago when I was just starting. Later on I realized that I
didn't do enough to eliminate Black-Bellied Plover as a possibility, so I
removed it from my life list.

	As far as listing is concerned, I say to just use your own conscience
and be honest with yourself.

	In California, winter seems to be by far the best season for birding.
The summer months seem to be the doldrums. I've had a lot of fun this winter
chasing rarities/vagrants. I'd be interested in hearing what rarities/vagrants
are being seen in other areas of the country ( or other countries ) and the
best seasons for birding there.

Good hunting,
Mike

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (03/08/88)

In article <17071@oliveb.olivetti.com>, mjm@oliven.UUCP writes:
> In article <8981@sunybcs.UUCP>, dmark@sunybcs.uucp (David Mark) writes:
> 	In California, winter seems to be by far the best season for birding.
> The summer months seem to be the doldrums. I've had a lot of fun this winter
> chasing rarities/vagrants. I'd be interested in hearing what rarities/vagrants
> are being seen in other areas of the country ( or other countries ) and the
> best seasons for birding there.
>
> Good hunting,
> Mike

New Jersey and New York seem to have their best birding in the spring and
fall.  Especially Fall.  However, some of the stranger strays tend to show
up in winter at feeders.  The most recent one was a Green-tailed Towhee in
Pa (barely 3 miles over the Jersey state line).

This area is great for fall migrants, mainly because it is a land trap.  Birds
travelling the east coast are shunted right down the coastline to spots like
Jamaica Bay, Brigantine, and Cape May.  Also, we are bordered on the west by
a channel cut by the Delaware, which tends to funnel certain migrants like
Golden Eagles.  One day, in Port Jervis NY, I saw three golden eagles within
an hour, which is a trmendous count for this area!

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!gp