[rec.birds] Future Splits

dmark@sunybcs.uucp (David Mark) (03/20/88)

Thanks, John Shipman, for interesting birding notes, especially the ones
on SW New Mexico.  I will be birding in Arizona and New Mexico in a
couple of weeks, and will try to find some of those birds!

John also wrote:

>Taxonomic note: I have heard rumors of possible splits in two
>species, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher and Brown Towhee.  In both
>cases, the California forms are reputed to be distinct.  Anybody
>heard anything concrete?
>--
>John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
>USENET: ihnp4!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!john

The February 1988 issue of _The Condor_ (v. 90, no. 1) contains an article
by Robert M. Zink entitled: "Evolution of Brown Towhees: Allozymes,
Morphometrics and Species Limits" (pp. 72-82).  Zink concludes:
"Therefore, I advocate species status for _crissalis_ (California Towhee)
and _fuscus_ (Brown Towhee)."  (p. 80).  The California Towhee's range
is west of the Salton Sea / Impreial Valley.  If _fuscus_ occurs
in California, it would along the Colorado River only.
Taxonomic wrok based on electrophoresis is controversial.  However, in this
case, the AOU Check-List (6th Edition) already noted that a split was suggested
"Because of differences in vocalizations and morphology" (p. 685), so I suspect
this split will eventually become 'official'.

The split of the gnatcatcher into _P. californica_ (Black-tailed Gnatcatcher)
and _P. melanura_ (Plumbeous Gnatcatcher) is mentioned as a possibility
in the 6th AOU (p. 544).
The _californica_ group is resident in chapparel from LA county south.  The
Plumbeous Gnatcatcher is in SE California (north to southern Inyo Co.)
east to s and w Texas and way south into Mexico.  Talk suggests this split
to be very likely.

I have also heard that the Brewer's Sparrow may be split, into the northern
Rockies subalpine form and the Great Basin sage-brush breeders.  Western
Flycatcher may be split into a coast-range and a Rockies form.

Maybe someday I'll write the article: "Birding on the Taxonomic Future's
Market"!

David Mark
dmark@joey.cs.buffalo.edu  or geodmm@ubvms.BITNET