[rec.birds] Birding the LA area

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (03/22/88)

I plan on being in the Los Angeles area around the second week in June.  Can
anyone give me any birding hints as to whats around, where to go, people to
contact, etc.?

Thank you in advance!
Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!gp

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (03/24/88)

In article <516@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> I plan on being in the Los Angeles area around the second week in June.  Can
> anyone give me any birding hints as to whats around, where to go, people to
> contact, etc.?

	When I was in L.A. some weeks back, I ran into some local birders who
directed me to a couple of spots. Black Skimmers breed at Bolsa Chica and
should be easily visible from the parking lot. The preserve is right on hiway
1 around Long Beach or Huntington Beach (it should be on a map of the city).
The "California" form of the Black-Tailed Gnatcatcher can be found on the
Palos Verde Penninsula. The penninsula is a triangular piece of land jutting
out from the coast just north of Bolsa Chica. There is a main artery called
Thorndale Rd. that runs between hiway 1 and 405. Going south on hiway 1 from
Thorndale you will see the grounds of an old amusement park (Great America?)
on the right (about a half mile south of Thorndale). I don't think that there
is a sign that identifies the park but you can tell it by the tall "needle-
like" tower on the grounds that is easily visible from the road. Go past the
entrance to this park and take the first left (about a half mile further),
which is Palos Verde St. This is a small residential street that winds up a
small canyon in the hillside. Take the street until it deadends and park.
Beyond the small fence at the end of the street is a trail that leads up into
the canyon. Go about 100 yards up the trail and turn left on an intersecting
equestrian trail. The equestrian trail immediately climbs up a small but
rather steep hill, and at the top of this hill you are in gnatcatcher
territory. They respond well to a tape.

	There was also a female Rusty Blackbird at Malibu Beach, but I'm not
sure if it will still be there in June. A small creek (I don't know the name)
empties into the ocean at Malibu Beach, and where hiway 1 crosses the creek
there is a large shopping center. In this shopping center is a Safeway grocery
store and behind the grocery store is the creek. Go behind the store and look
for the Rusty Blackbird among the flocks of Brewer's Blackbirds. Sprinkling
some birdseed on the ground may help attract the blackbirds.

Good hunting,
Mike

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (03/24/88)

In article <516@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>I plan on being in the Los Angeles area around the second week in June.  Can
>anyone give me any birding hints as to whats around, where to go, people to
>contact, etc.?
>
>Thank you in advance!
>Greg Pasquariello
>ihnp4!picuxa!gp

There is a nice area in Huntington Beach.

Sandra - Pyrmaid Technology Educational Services