[rec.birds] Tucson Birding Hints Requested

willner@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Willner) (03/25/88)

I'll have a week's vacation in the Tucson area the first week in
April and would appreciate any advice on good birding spots and what
to look for.  I know about Madera Canyon and am aware of a Nature
Conservancy sanctuary in Patagonia.  (Does anyone know where the
sanctuary is located or have advice on where to look within it?)
Thanks for any help.--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 Internet: willner@cfa.harvard.edu

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (03/26/88)

In article <950@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU>, Steve Willner writes:
> I know about Madera Canyon and am aware of a Nature
> Conservancy sanctuary in Patagonia.  (Does anyone know where the
> sanctuary is located or have advice on where to look within it?)

Patagonia is my favorite spot in SE Arizona---so pretty, I'd go there
even if it didn't have such GREAT birds.

From Tucson, take I-10 about 20 miles east and turn south on the
Sonoita-Patagonia exit.  It's about 40 miles south to the town of
Patagonia.  The easiest way to find the refuge is to enter from the
town end.  Go through town until you get to a bar on the right that
has a large ``cold beer'' sign standing out front.  Last time I was
there (last August), the turnoff to the refuge was marked.  Turn
right, go a few blocks to a T, and turn left.  This dirt road goes
right by all four entrances to the Nature Conservancy's gorgeous
sanctuary; they are numbered 4, 3, 2, and 1 in this direction.

I always like to start with gate 1, the one furthest from town.  The
trail from this gate crosses a corner of a meadow, then drops you on
the bank of Sonoita Creek.  The first hundred yards of this trail can
be mind-boggling; I photographed a trogon here once, even though this
is a long way from normal trogon range.  The creek runs year-round and
is flanked by huge cottonwood galleries.  I don't have time to talk
about all the nifty species you can get here, like Northern
Beardless-Tyrannulet.  A little ways down the trail branches; the left
branch goes a long ways down an old railroad embankment, which
connects with the trails from the other three entrance gates.  The
right trail goes a little further down the creek; please don't molest
the Gray Hawks that nest across the creek here, as pressure from
birders could disrupt their breeding.  You can, however, see them well
from the near side of the creek.

Gate 1 is riparian; gate 2 goes through more grasslands, as well as a
spring and a killer berry patch; gate 3's habitat is more densely
wooded; and gate 4 is next to the edge of town, so it is less
productive.  Don't ignore the dry uplands across the road from the
refuge, good for Lucy's Warbler, Bell's Vireo and other dryland birds.

I could rattle on for hours (as regular readers of this group know),
but I'm going birding at the Bosque del Apache NWR in ten minutes.
Good luck, and don't miss the hummer action at Santa Rita Lodge in
Madera Canyon---the local birders like it better than Ramsey [=
Mile-Hi].  Also, try Florida Wash at dawn; that's on the road to
Madera Canyon.  Look for two short bridges close together; there's a
hiker's stile on the left that is excellent for dryland birds.  I
ticked my Bell's Vireo and Bronzed Cowbird here.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ihnp4!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!john