[rec.birds] Bird protection laws

john@titan.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (04/04/88)

In article <1988Apr2.171429.23713@utzoo.uucp>, rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim
Rising) writes:
> Yes, it is true that most birds are protected by laws (House Sparrow,
> Starling, pigeons, and maybe crows aren't)...
                               ^^^^^  AIIIEEE!
Hit a nerve there, ye did!

I'm a big fan of family Corvidae.  I love them all---ravens, crows,
jays, and magpies.  My vanity license plate is CORVIDS.

The Migratory Bird Protection Act, to which the USA, Canada, and
Mexico are signatories, protects ALL native species, except those for
which there is a hunting season.  Introduced birds (House Sparrow,
Rock Dove, Starling) are not protected; a friend of mine used to keep
a starling as a cagebird, and it was a fine pet.  So far as I know,
corvids are protected.

--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ihnp4!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@jupiter.nmt.edu