[rec.birds] Salvage permits

john@oravax.UUCP (John Gregoire) (04/05/88)

All migratory birds in the U.S./transiting the U.S. are protected by
Federal law. I believe the Migratory Bird Treaty Act has Canada as a
signatory. For the U.S., this means all native species (everything
but House Sparrow and Starling) are protected. To keep or transport
a dead bird, one needs a Federal "Salvage" permit; all banders hold
such permission. One can not keep live birds without specific
permits( read live "native" birds). Permits are controlled by the
US Dept of Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service;requirements are in
50CFR13 and cover bird banding, salvage, taxidermy (it is illegal for
a taxidermist to mount a non-game bird), captive rearing, import/export
and falconry.

If you find a dead bird and wish to donate it to a museum or teaching
collection, you could call the Ornithology Dept of a university, your
local fish and game law enforcement official, a US Fish and Wildlife
person, a local bander, etc...people likely to know how to handle the
specimen and licensed to do so. Packing it in dry
ice and sending it to the Smithsonian is normally discouraged. In any event,
 most collections
are in need of rarities but do occasionally need common birds. Give them
a call. The alternative is a quiet burial. Do not keep the carcass or
any of its parts such as feathers. That is illegal and certainly not
worth the fine.

Hope that helps. I'm a bander and have found few institiutions in need
of the more common species. If called, I usually take the specimen, try
the local University for need and bury the unwanted.

oravax!john@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (04/05/88)

In article <232@oravax.UUCP>, john@oravax.UUCP (John Gregoire) writes:

> The alternative is a quiet burial.
>
> and bury the unwanted.

	I think I would allow those creatures that depend on scavenging to
have their day and just leave it. While doing some surveying for the local
breeding bird atlas yesterday, I came across the remains of what looked like
a California Quail; just some skin and body feathers actually. Probably the
work of a Sharp-Shinned or Cooper's Hawk.

Looking and listing,
Mike