[rec.birds] red-shouldered hawk

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (04/08/88)

	In working on the Breeding Bird Atlas in Stevens Creek County Park
here in the Bay Area, I have found a pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks. I have not
seen this species of bird in the park before, although they have been seen in
other areas. Experts out here have indicated that this species is undergoing a
population and range expansion out here in the West. I wonder if a similar
expansion is occurring in the eastern population? Any comments from the eastern
birders?

Looking and listing,
Mike

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (04/08/88)

In article <19596@oliveb.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	In working on the Breeding Bird Atlas in Stevens Creek County Park
>here in the Bay Area, I have found a pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks. I have not
>seen this species of bird in the park before, although they have been seen in
>other areas. Experts out here have indicated that this species is undergoing a
>population and range expansion out here in the West. I wonder if a similar
>expansion is occurring in the eastern population? Any comments from the eastern
>birders?
>
>Looking and listing,
>Mike

I have been a dedicated hawkwatcher for the last 7 years or so (too bad, because
I miss all the other migrants), and it seems to me that the red-shoulders are
increasing, but only VERY slightly (by the way, I am talking about NY/NJ area).
This is based upon migration only!  I will look at my notes tonight, and let
you know the real story as far as numbers etc.

As far breeding status is concerned (in North Jersey), the Red Shoulder is
nowhere near a common bird anywhere except in an area called the Pequannock
Watershed.  Here the bird nests in fairly good numbers.  This is probably
because it is one of the best habitats around for the bird.  Otherwise, NJ
is pretty much pavement, and southern NY is pretty much farmland (more suitable
to Red Tails).

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!gp