[rec.birds] the valley

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (04/06/88)

	I am planning a trip to the Rio Grande Valley in the spring of 1989
and am interested in any information that the net-birders can supply about
this area. I have read a couple of books that deal with this area, but I am
sure that any personal experiences would be most helpful. I welcome all details
that you can give me, no matter how minute ( for instance, how far to walk down
a particular trail; what tree to look in; etc. ). Also, I would like to know
when you consider the best time to go ( the trip is tentatively planned for the
end of April ).

	My plans are to include the gulf coast of Texas as well and, possibly
( hopefully ), the Chisos Mountains.

	Thanks in advance.

Looking and listing,
Mike

jgd@pollux.UUCP (Dr. James George Dunham) (04/09/88)

In article <19516@oliveb.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	I am planning a trip to the Rio Grande Valley in the spring of 1989
>and am interested in any information that the net-birders can supply about
>this area. I have read a couple of books that deal with this area, but I am
>sure that any personal experiences would be most helpful.
>	My plans are to include the gulf coast of Texas as well and, possibly
>( hopefully ), the Chisos Mountains.

     If you can get the following books, they will give you the detailed
information you need. I followed the one for the Texas coast with no
problems and found the places easily.
  1. A Birder's Guide to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, James A. Lane.
  2. A Birder's Guide to the Texas Coast, James A. Lane and John L. Tveten.
These books are (used) to be distributed by L&P Press, Box 21604, Denver,
CO 80221.
				-Jim Dunham
				 pollux!jgd