[rec.birds] Nesting Bluebirds - box location

jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (JF) (05/17/88)

In article <246@oravax.UUCP>, john@oravax.UUCP (John Gregoire) writes:
> Jim, your problem with house sparrows (HOSP) and starlings (STAR), or as we
> prefer (SLZO), is common to boxes that are emplaced too close to human
> structures.

The box which Had the bluebirds is about 250 - 300 ft from the house and
50 ft from our pond, and about 5 ft off the ground. Its on the fencepost
at the corner of our mini orchard. I also have a box which is on the
other side of our pond, at least 400 ft from the house and under some
large oak trees. The sparrows also go for that one, but I haven't seen
any bluebirds around that one. Yesterday a pair of bluebirds were back
trying to build in a box that's only 50 ft. from the garage at the other
corner of the orchard fence. They have been fighting with sparrows over
the box.

It seems like no matter where I put them, the sparrows try to use them.
I must have ripped out sparrow nests at least 30 times, but they just
don't give up.

Would putting the boxes lower to the ground scare off the
sparrows (3-4ft)?

john@oravax.UUCP (05/19/88)

Jim cited his bluebird box locations and asked if a lower than five
foot mounting would deter house sparrows.
Bluebirds prefer a box in an as open location as possible. The height
of the cavity opening should be around four feet. This tends to deter
some other cavity nesting competition. If you're in Black snake country,
you should also use a predator guard. I don't think your five foot
box height is excessive but would certainly try moving the box a bit
lower and discoutage HOSP nesting attempts by cleaning out the box
whenever they start building.
We had a very successful trail in Maryland (over 400 boxes) and tried
all sorts of combinations. Where a HOSP population abounded we had no choice
but to discourage their building. Here in New York, I'm running into a
more frustrating problem as we have a small bluebird population and large
house wren population. To date, two nesting attempts have suffered
wren predation ( they enter the box and destroy the eggs). Although we
can thwart wren nesting attempts by removing the sticks, I know of no
solution to the egg predation as the wren is protected.
Sorry we can't solve your problem. Try the lower box and sparrow nest
removal. Let me know how you make out.
An informative book on blubirds was written by Larry Zeleny a few years
ago; believe it's called THE BLUEBIRD.