[rec.birds] it's a mockingbird

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (06/05/88)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           06/04/88 15:21:22
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: it's a mockingbird

 To: rec-birds@ucbvax

 I received a number of helpful replies about what my back-yard visitor
 might be. They all agreed that it's likely to be a mockingbird.
 Mockingbirds are apparently not uncommon in the bay area. I think
 they are less common in populated SF areas such as mine, which may explain
 why this seemed unfamiliar to me (for example, we have a busy market street
 running in front, only about one large tree per 30 houses in back, and
 until recently a lot of neighbors had cats).

 The distinguishing characteristics (of the singing, since I could not
 see the bird) included: loud calling, with a continually varying song
 repeated a few times and then changed; singing at odd hours.

 The chances are that it's an unmated male.

 Now I'm curious as to what the function is for such imitative singing.
 (One writer explained that this class of birds is termed "mimids".)

 Certainly it seemed that the unmated bird might call to attract a mate;
 lately he's been singing all night, actually. But wouldn't the
 varied calls attract "the wrong kind"? (A lot of jokes occur to me
 here).

 Or does a potential mate mockingbird itself recognize the variety, and
 respond in kind? It's a curious phenomenon to me.

 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
      it's a mockingbird