[rec.birds] trying to identify a new visitor

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (06/02/88)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           06/01/88 19:26:47
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: trying to identify a new visitor

 To: rec-birds@ucbvax

 I am not trained in identifying birds, but I have a lot of curiosity
 about a new visitor to my back yard.

 I live in residential San Francisco, which has limited back yards with
 some large trees.

 In the last few weeks, we have a new visiting bird which seems very
 unfamiliar. I cannot see it (having tried a number of times), but what
 is distinctive is the nature of its singing.

 Most birds I have ever heard seem to have a relatively recognizable,
 repeating call. This one seems to change its call every 3-10 repetitions.

 It sings very loudly; generally at sunrise or sunset, but also at other
 times, for example, 11:30pm and 2:30 AM on occasion.

 If I try to do a bad job of explaining the calls, it would be:

 chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp (pause)

 poo-wee poo-wee poo-wee poo-wee (pause)

 squawk squawk squawk (pause)

 I could go on, but what I am trying to illustrate is that the
 very nature of the call keeps changing. Various sequences, tones,
 and timbres are used. Each given call is repeated exactly and clearly
 for a set of repetitions, then something else occurs for its set
 of repetitions.

 There are never words or clicks or other parrot-like variations, but
 the variety is impressive. The sequence does not seem to repeat over
 several minutes. One might imagine a group of birds, but it's just
 one, since there is only one song at a time (or, it's a whole group
 but they have all agreed to sing in turn, only once :-)

 Does this ring any bells? I am most curious. I wondered for awhile
 if someone's pet had escaped. But it has stayed in the neighborhood for
 a couple weeks now, and sometimes sings from across the street.

 (                                                            )
 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
      trying to identify a new visitor

jim@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Jim Tear) (06/03/88)

It sounds like a mockingbird because (1) it sings many phrases, each
repeated several times and (2) it sings at night.  The range map
shows you're in their range.  They are not afraid of residential areas.
You should be able to see it singing from the top of a TV antenna or a
chimney.

My second guess would be some kind of thrasher.  They are 2nd cousins
to the mockers.

	Jim Tear --  Hewlett-Packard  --  Ft. Collins, CO

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (06/10/88)

Several people have thought that the new visitor is a mockingbird. Have you
been able to determine?

Just curious-