[rec.birds] Pointers wanted

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) (06/16/88)

	I live in an area where it is easy to visit the habitat of
Redtails.  I would like to find out more about them, but the library
here only lists references in raptor books in general.  I'd like to
get some really specific info on feeding habits, nesting habits, etc.
All this is with an eye toward studying them from mid-distance (I know
to within about one acre where I can find a nest, but I don't want to
get any closer until I'm a bit more sure of what I'm doing so's not to
disturb them) with binoculars and camera.  If need be (and that's
probably the case this time of year) I can wait and plan on the project
next year.  I'd rather go slowly and with as much info as I can.  So...
to cut this to just under 10,000 words, are there any really specific
books, pamphlets, etc. I can turn to?  Many thanks in advance.

					Sto lat;
					Chip
             ,,
*** SOLIDARNOSC ***
--

Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 @ Varian  2700 Mitchell Dr. Walnut Creek, Cal. 94598
		...!pacbell!varian!vaxwaller!chip

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (06/16/88)

In article <1772@vaxwaller.UUCP>, chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:

 > 	I live in an area where it is easy to visit the habitat of
 > Redtails.  I would like to find out more about them, but the library
 > here only lists references in raptor books in general.  I'd like to
 > get some really specific info on feeding habits, nesting habits, etc.
 > All this is with an eye toward studying them from mid-distance (I know
 > to within about one acre where I can find a nest, but I don't want to
 > get any closer until I'm a bit more sure of what I'm doing so's not to
 > disturb them) with binoculars and camera.  If need be (and that's
 > probably the case this time of year) I can wait and plan on the project
 > next year.  I'd rather go slowly and with as much info as I can.  So...
 > to cut this to just under 10,000 words, are there any really specific
 > books, pamphlets, etc. I can turn to?  Many thanks in advance.

	You might try Bent's "Life History of North American Birds of Prey".
This contains some fairly specific information of the order that you asked
for. You're probably right about waiting for next year. A nest that I have
been monitoring in my BBA block has young on the point of fledging as of last
weekend. As far as using a camera; redtails tend to nest very high and getting
a good angle could be tricky (imagine climbing 100 ft. up a neighboring tree
to see inside the nest; but don't look down :-) ). Good luck.

Looking and listing,
Mike