[rec.birds] orphan birdling

ins_avrd@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Victoria Rosly D'ull) (06/25/88)

I've recently become the foster parent of a baby bluejay.  He's been
in my care for almost 48 full hours now and still seems pretty chipper,
but I have absolutely NO experience with fledgling birds and could use
some advice....

I don't think he's very young -- he has all his wingfeathers in blue,
but the rest is still grey down.  He can hop about or perch on a finger,
and flaps his wings enthusiastically if I move him through the air.
What sort of encouragement does he need to really learn to fly?

I've been keeping him in the warmest room in the house -- about 105
degrees F (we've been having a bit of a heatwave).  Is this too hot?
Too cold?  He's been eating tiny pieces of steak and bread soaked in
soymilk, along with water from a syringe.  The best method I've found
for feeding him is to hold him near my face and make cheeping noises,
at which he cheeps back and opens his mouth, and I toss the food right
in.  Any tips on how much he should get and how often, and on what
bluejays normally eat?

The last question is most important -- how can I prepare this young
thing for a return to the Great Outdoors?  We have a lot of cats in
our area and I don't want him to find out about predators the hard
way.  I live (and the bird was found) in downtown Baltimore -- would
a more rural setting be better for him?

Anxiously and gratefully awaiting any reply --
--Vicka

ins_avrd@jhunix.BITNET

bvanslyk@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Betty Van Slyke) (06/30/88)

In article <6591@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_avrd@jhunix.UUCP (Vicka d'Ull) writes:

>I've recently become the foster parent of a baby bluejay.  He's been

>The last question is most important -- how can I prepare this young
>thing for a return to the Great Outdoors?  We have a lot of cats in

I have no other suggestions except to call the Audobon Society for
help.

Betty

gnome@oliveb.olivetti.com (Gary) (06/30/88)

From article <6591@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, by ins_avrd@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Victoria Rosly D'ull):
> I don't think he's very young -- he has all his wingfeathers in blue,
> but the rest is still grey down.  He can hop about or perch on a finger,
> and flaps his wings enthusiastically if I move him through the air.
> What sort of encouragement does he need to really learn to fly?

Not much, he'll start flapping and jumping more and more as his
growth starts to level-out.

> I've been keeping him in the warmest room in the house -- about 105
> degrees F (we've been having a bit of a heatwave).  Is this too hot?

Probably.  The rule of thumb is- If the bird is overly fluffed-up, they're
too cold.  If it is mildly fluffed (especially when sleeping) it's OK.
If the bird stands around with it's mouth open and wings lifted
slightly, then it's too hot (this is not to be confused with the
"babying-out" reflex at feeding time).

> Too cold?  He's been eating tiny pieces of steak and bread soaked in
> soymilk, along with water from a syringe.  The best method I've found
> for feeding him is to hold him near my face and make cheeping noises,
> at which he cheeps back and opens his mouth, and I toss the food right
> in.  Any tips on how much he should get and how often, and on what
> bluejays normally eat?

Well, if you can't see his crop (throat food pouch) then assume that
he'll stop accepting food when he's full (careful though).
You might want to weigh him every day on a food scale.  A general
increase in weight is a good sign that you are feeding it enough.

> The last question is most important -- how can I prepare this young
> thing for a return to the Great Outdoors?  We have a lot of cats in

Well, I hate to say this, but by feeding him face-to-face, you may
have tamed or imprinted him.  Both of these things are very bad
because he'll now not be afraid of people - which is fatal in the
wild.  Also, you've been feeding him things that are unrelated to
wild food.  At the animal rescue office nearby (in San Jose, CA)
they teach foster parents to feed the babies with round-ended
medical tweezers and they are fed soft (newly shedded) mealworms.
Jays also eat various berries and fruit from native trees.
Don't release him until he's pecking-into native habitat foods.

> our area and I don't want him to find out about predators the hard
> way.  I live (and the bird was found) in downtown Baltimore -- would
> a more rural setting be better for him?

Well, yes and no...  Do you have a Humane Society or Wild Animal
Rescue place that you can call. If so, you can get information from
them.  They may also have other jays that he can be raised with.
(So he can bond to his own kind, and not humans)

mmst@ihlpl.ATT.COM (m.s. turek) (07/01/88)

In article <6591@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_avrd@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Victoria Rosly D'ull) writes:

> I don't think he's very young -- he has all his wingfeathers in blue,
> but the rest is still grey down.  He can hop about or perch on a finger,
> and flaps his wings enthusiastically if I move him through the air.
> What sort of encouragement does he need to really learn to fly?

	When he's ready to fly, you'll know it--he'll take off for
	short flights in the room if/when you open the cage.

> I've been keeping him in the warmest room in the house -- about 105
> degrees F (we've been having a bit of a heatwave).  Is this too hot?
> Too cold?

	This is probably about 10-20 degrees too warm.

> He's been eating tiny pieces of steak and bread soaked in
> soymilk, along with water from a syringe.

	Assuming the steak is raw, that's not a bad idea since a
	bluejay is related to other birds of prey and enjoy meat.
	You can try canned dog food, which may be a little mushier
	and put that on a flat plate with some seeds and berries.
	Keep this plate in his cage, along with a shallow bowl of
	water and observe how much he eats.  When he's self-feeding
	he's approaching release time, given he is a strong flyer.

	Another respondent to your question was concerned with
	imprinting.  Hopefully this bird is old enough where that
	won't be too much of a problem.  But try to limit the human
	contact such as holding and talking to him.

> The last question is most important -- how can I prepare this young
> thing for a return to the Great Outdoors?  We have a lot of cats in
> our area and I don't want him to find out about predators the hard
> way.  I live (and the bird was found) in downtown Baltimore -- would
> a more rural setting be better for him?

	Although it's usually best to return things to where they
	were found, jays are generally found in wooded areas, which
	downtown Baltimore is not.  Use your best judgement on this
	and pick a fairly sheltered spot that would provide natural
	foods.  Or maybe send him off with a "care package" of some
	food and place it on a stump, etc. where you release him.

	The idea of looking for a wildlife rehabilitation center that
	has other jays is also a good idea --if it is reputable.

Marla Turek