[rec.birds] crows, etc

mjh@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Huber) (08/25/88)

> In article <973@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
> > James Donndelinger, in article <36223@aero.ARPA>, tells a most
> > interesting story about attracting crows with an owl decoy, so as to
> > blast them with a shotgun (a good hunter eats what he shoots).
> >
> > However, as a fan of crows and other corvids, I'd like to point out
> > that all native birds are protected under the federal Migratory Bird
> > Act, except game species in season.  If there are any legitimate crow
> > seasons these days, I'm unaware of it; correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I believe crow hunting is legal in Illinois during the winter months!
> Lots of rural folks do it and don't get cawt!

This diatribe may be more suited to rec.nature than this newsgroup, but here goes:

Illinois is one of the most backward of states in many realms but especially
in animal and environmental protection. Legality is not really the
issue. Just because laws have yet to be passed, doesn't mean an act is right
or moral. A case in point is the disgusting legality of the "leg-hold" trap
which may soon be banned in IL as it is in other states and other countries.
I am continually struggling with my neighbor who shoots or otherwise
kills any animal who crosses his property.

I am confused about country people's attitude. I would have thought
that they would live in the country because they appreciated its wildlife.
But this is not the general attitude. I've come to believe that people enjoy
killing. I believe humankind is the only species which kills for no reason
whether it be crows or some other creature.

All creatures whether it be Crows, humans, or whatever, deserve respect and freedom
from human arrogance. Crows are beautiful, intelligent creatures who have been
given a role on this earth as the rest of us have.