[rec.birds] Any migration going on?

gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (08/25/88)

Anyone getting any good migrants yet?  It's still pretty slow here in
New Jersey but it is starting to pick up.  Jamaica Bay has it's usual late
summer migrants coming in (Hud. Godwits, Stilt Sandpipers, lots of semipalm).
Just the other day (Aug 22) I got my annual nighthawks.  They usually show up
around the 20th.  Upland Sandpipers are on the sod farms, and any day now, I
expect to get hundreds of golden plovers, and hopefully a buff-breasted sand-
piper.

The hawk watch (Mt. Peter NY, just north of NJ line) starts in JUST ONE WEEK!!

Happy Birding!
Greg Pasquariello                   AT&T Product Integration Center
att!picuxa!gpasq                299 Jefferson Rd, Parsippany, NJ 07054

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/27/88)

In article <658@picuxa.UUCP>, gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> Anyone getting any good migrants yet?  It's still pretty slow here in
> New Jersey but it is starting to pick up.  Jamaica Bay has it's usual late
> summer migrants coming in (Hud. Godwits, Stilt Sandpipers, lots of semipalm).
> Just the other day (Aug 22) I got my annual nighthawks.  They usually show up
> around the 20th.  Upland Sandpipers are on the sod farms, and any day now, I
> expect to get hundreds of golden plovers, and hopefully a buff-breasted sand-
> piper.

	Shorebird migration has been going on for a couple of weeks out here
on the west coast in the Bay Area. We've been getting the rare, but usual,
Baird's, Pectoral, Semipalmated, Stilt, and Solitary Sandpipers; as well as a
fair number of Lesser Golden Plovers. A Ruff was reported yesterday along the
coast south of San Francisco. Migrant landbirds hitting Pt. Reyes include Red-
Eyed Vireo; Townsend's, Hermit, Black-Throated Gray, Wilson's, Yellow, Canada,
Black-Throated Green, and Hooded Warblers.

Mike

jla@inuxd.UUCP (Joyce Andrews) (08/28/88)

(This message comes to you from the Florida Keys via the miracle
                 of modern communications)

Not yet down here, but the Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center is
gearing up.  We expect hawks first, and then the turkey
vultures, to start filling up the cages.  Migrant pelicans, from
up the Florida coast, will bring their hooks-and-leaders-hanging-
out-of-their bills problems to us.

I saw my first scarlet ibis last week.  What a
fascinating-looking creature!!  It was feeding in a yard with its
white cousins.

I was doing some paper work for the center this week, putting
together some statistics about the birds, and realized that,
although the last year has brought us many great white herons,
and several great blues, some little blues, and a bunch of little
greens, as well as some of the other small heron species, and
cattle and snowy egrets, we have not had ONE common egret.  But
the common egret is very common (:-)) down here...they are all
over the center grounds looking for handouts.  They are all over
the Keys, especially in the winter.  Why don't they get into
trouble with fish hooks and lines and broken wings and broken
legs like the rest of the long-legged water birds.  There are
more of them than herons and snowy egrets here.  Do we just not
know about them when they get hurt, or do you think their habits
are such that they don't get hurt as often?   We've had seven
osprey, a bald eagle, several varieties of hawks, a million (it
seems) pelicans, a billion (it seems) gulls, many individuals of
the heron/egret type, nighthawks, doves, cormorants, song birds,
owls, and a turkey vulture in a mangrove tree (Morticia won't be
leaving us...but we can't put her down...even a turkey vulture
has redeeming qualities).  But no common egrets.  Maybe there is
a story here.

--
	Joyce Andrews King
	ihnp4!inuxd!jla

gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (08/29/88)

In article <1244@inuxd.UUCP> jla@inuxd.UUCP (Joyce Andrews) writes:
>cattle and snowy egrets, we have not had ONE common egret.  But
>the common egret is very common (:-)) down here...they are all
>over the center grounds looking for handouts.  They are all over
>the Keys, especially in the winter.  Why don't they get into
>trouble with fish hooks and lines and broken wings and broken
>legs like the rest of the long-legged water birds.  There are
>--
>	Joyce Andrews King

Once in the hackensack meadowlands, I saw a common egret that had flown into
the guy wires of a large antenna tower.  Apparently, the wire caught it
perfectly under it's chin, in the crook of the neck, because the bird actually
looped once around the wire, and tied it's neck into somewhat of a knot.
Needless to say the bird's neck was probably broken instantly.

In the winter, this place is a haven for owls.  It amazes me that the night
flying owls don't meet the same fate.

Anyway, sorry for the morbid article.  I hope I didn't ruin anyone's morning.

Greg