[rec.birds] Fly-Eating Birds

carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/10/88)

My horse attracts a lot of flies.  Are there any birds that eat flies?

How can I attract them?

I live in central Illinois, in the country, but surrounded by
cornfields.  There is a small stream half a mile away.
(I also live right next to a natural gas pumping station.  I just
found out that the odorant they add to the gas attracts flies too!
Sometimes you can smell that stuff half a mile away)
I would be willing to put up birdhouses or whatever to provide
living quarters, there are plenty of flies!

The common birds are sparrows, grackles, robins, there are a few
barn swallows.  Do any of these eat flies?

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/12/88)

In article <12300002@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

 > My horse attracts a lot of flies.  Are there any birds that eat flies?
 >
 > How can I attract them?
 >
 > The common birds are sparrows, grackles, robins, there are a few
 > barn swallows.  Do any of these eat flies?

 	Barn Swallows are insect eaters and would probably love feeding
around a concentration of flies. They also readily nest on building walls
that offer a sheltering overhang (they will nest inside or outside of a
building; or even under it if it is raised). Other birds that could be of
some help in this type of habitat are Kingbirds (eastern or western; I'm
not sure which one would predominate in your area) and Say's Phoebe. However,
I'm not sure how to attract these.

	On a side note, the fantastic shorebird migration continues out here
on the west coast, with a Eurasian Dotterel at Point Reyes and a Bar-Tailed
Godwit along Monterey Bay.

Mike