[rec.birds] Hawk Migration?

cdp@lzss.ATT.COM (Clark Petrie) (09/12/88)

Does anyone have suggestions on where to view the annual hawk migration
and when to see it?  I'd like to plan a hike that would coincide with
it this fall.  I've heard people mention Hawk Mountain(?) which I believe is
in Pennsylvania -- any information would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance-

Clark Petrie  att!mtuxo!cdp  (201) 576-6086

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/13/88)

In article <12@lzss.ATT.COM> cdp@lzss.ATT.COM (Clark Petrie) writes:

>Does anyone have suggestions on where to view the annual hawk migration
>and when to see it?  I'd like to plan a hike that would coincide with
>it this fall.  I've heard people mention Hawk Mountain(?) which I believe is
>in Pennsylvania -- any information would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance-

Hawk Mountain sanctuary is near Drehersburg, PA; should be marked on
most highway maps---go west from Allentown.  Also try to find a copy
of Pettingill's ``Gird to Bird Finding (East)''; it gives full
directions to Hawk Mountain.

Better yet, Pettingill's book gives directions to an excellent
site not far from Hawk Mountain that is less crowded: see his
directions to Bake Oven Knob.  The people that go there are
pretty expert; one of them wrote a book on hawk watching (forgot
his name, though).
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) (09/13/88)

In article <12@lzss.ATT.COM> cdp@lzss.ATT.COM (Clark Petrie) writes:
>Does anyone have suggestions on where to view the annual hawk migration
>and when to see it?  I'd like to plan a hike that would coincide with
>it this fall.  I've heard people mention Hawk Mountain(?) which I believe is
>in Pennsylvania -- any information would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance-

Hawk Mountain is a possibility, it is west of Allentown, an exit off
I-78. (I forget which).  Problem is construction may cause delays
getting there...

From Monmouth County, you may want to consider going down to Cape May.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jr		nyssa@terminus.UUCP