[rec.birds] hookbills

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (10/12/88)

Does anyone out there have hookbills?  If so, I would like to talk about them.
I have a Molluccan Cockatoo and will soon have a Grey-Cheeked Parakeet.

jtb901@leah.Albany.Edu (Jim) (10/13/88)

In article <IXIqQoy00V488Hyl1o@andrew.cmu.edu>, ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
> Does anyone out there have hookbills?  If so, I would like to talk about them

How about Cockatiels?  (Besides you, BMG 8^)

--
     | BITNET:   jtb901@albny1vx        | "I can see the future,           |
     |           jtb901@albnyvm1        |  and it's a place about 70 miles |

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (10/13/88)

I would love to hear about your cockatiel.  I would like to hear any story that
anyone has about any bird, hookbills or not.

In article <IXIz=Dy00V4MMD515J@andrew.cmu.edu>, ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
> I would love to hear about your cockatiel.  I would like to hear any story that
> anyone has about any bird, hookbills or not.

Okay, well, he's a grey.  I got him about 3 months ago, at which time
he was about as unfriendly as possible for a bird.  Over the weeks
he's become used to "humans", but he'll still only sit for long periods
of time on *my* arm/hand/shoulder...

He's not, um, "cage trained" yet, so I have to clean up after him.

If he's been sleeping (it's dark), and a light is turned on, putting your
hand into his cage elicites a rather angered response and snapping beak.
He's not good at waking up. 8^)

--
     | BITNET:   jtb901@albny1vx        | "I can see the future,           |
     |           jtb901@albnyvm1        |  and it's a place about 70 miles |
     | INTERNET: jtb901@leah.albany.edu |  west of here."                  |
     |                                  |                 -Laurie Anderson |

miller@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (Ruth Miller) (10/14/88)

 I bet you don't know what "unfriendly as possible" means!  Try threatening
a lovebird who thinks the paper bag she's in is her nest!  Did you know
birds hiss, just like cats?

On another question, our Fischers cost $50 each.  Peach-faced ones are
usually cheaper in the pet stores here (NY)--around $40 or a bit less.
I'm not in touch with any breeders, but the pet store I frequent has
had Lutino Peach-faces on and off -- about one every month or two.  Almost
always hand-raised, always cute, and priced about $200.  As I understand
it, a hand-raised lovebird is about the friendliest thing going, though
the cockatoo sounds like a very nice bird.  Does he like strangers?

On waking birds up--our birds wake up slowly too--it usually takes them
a few minutes to become cordial if you suddenly turn on lights in the
dark.  Mornings, they are up before we are, so that is not a problem.
Is the cockatiel a baby?  The ones I've seen here, they get used to
people before they sell them, but unfortunately that doesn't work with
grown lovebirds.
  --Ruth Miller

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (10/14/88)

> As I understand it, a hand-raised lovebird is about the friendliest thing
going, though
>the cockatoo sounds like a very nice bird.  Does he like strangers?

My cockatoo absolutely hates anyone outside his few friends.  But that is
expected, since he was caught as a wild adult.  I have seen hand fed babies
going for $2400 and being as friendly as can be to the butcher.  But that's
beyond my price range now.  Anyway, I enjoy his jungle calls, which a hand fed
lacks.

>the pet store I frequent has had Lutino Peach-faces on and off -- about one
every month or two.  >Almost always hand-raised, always cute, and priced about
$200.

Can you find where they get these birds? I would love to have a Peach-faced
Lutino for that price.

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (10/15/88)

In article <1521@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> miller@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (Ruth Miller) writes:

   As I understand
   it, a hand-raised lovebird is about the friendliest thing going

I used to breed cockatiels and lovebirds.  I did hand raise one lovebird.
It was the most affectionate bird I have ever known.

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)268-2292 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet   mrd@clutx.bitnet

pkb@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Benson) (10/15/88)

How do you housebreak, cage train, perch train etc. etc a hookbill?????
Didn't know it could be done.

Pam B.   ihlpa!pkb