[rec.birds] Canada Geese

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/18/88)

Here at the Morristown, NJ location of Bellcore, we have a lot of
Canada geese.  I have become interested in them.  I have always
liked watching migrating water foul.

I hear that the migratory patters of these birds (Canada geese)
has been changing in recent years.  Is this true?  It seems likely,
since I see them year round.  Some theories I hear are:

1. People are likely to feed them more now than before.

2. They see the domestic geese get through the winter around here
and "figure" they can too.  (There's a domestic goose farm near
here in New Vernon and the Canada geese have made good friends with
the white geese.)

3. Changes in climate.

Do they still go from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada? Any comments?

Also, to the extent that they still migrate, they are migrating a
lot this month.  I am seeing (and hearing) them fly in the dark of
the night!!!  Is this a recent thing?  I am amazed.

Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

matt@marge.math.binghamton.edu (matt brin) (10/19/88)

In article <11030@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Do they [Canada Geese] still go from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada?
>
>Also, to the extent that they still migrate, they are migrating a
>lot this month.  I am seeing (and hearing) them fly in the dark of
>the night!!!  Is this a recent thing?  I am amazed.

Canada Geese have several disctinct populations in North America.  One
source lists over ten.  One population (about 1 million) winters on
Chesapeake Bay.  During migration most fly over a line that runs from
Bingahmton, NY to Elmira, but this is not constant.  Birds at Bellcore could
be from this population or a more "Atlantic" one.  (I once "counted" 5000
geese passing over Binghamton in one 45 minute period one Spring day several
years ago.)

Many aspects of bird populations change with time - including population
numbers, migration paths and dates, nesting areas and the like.  Some
changes are in response to human interference, but there is no reason to
believe that bird populations would remain stable in the absence of human
beings.  What about human behavior has caused the invasion of the North by
the Mockingbird?

You should suspect the apparent increase in incidences of "overhead geese
calls."  You might just be getting better at recognizing them, and may also
be more tuned in to the sound than you used to be.

Waterfowl are among the most studied of the bird groups.  Any library should
have several books on waterfowl alone.  I don't have names here, but try
"Kortright."  I think that is close.

matt brin / math. dept / SUNY / Binghamton, NY 13901
matt@marge.math.binghamton.edu      INTERNET
fac119@bingvaxb.bitnet              BITNET

gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (10/20/88)

In article <11030@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:

	Canada Geese...

>Also, to the extent that they still migrate, they are migrating a
>lot this month.  I am seeing (and hearing) them fly in the dark of
>the night!!!  Is this a recent thing?  I am amazed.
>
>Tom Reingold

It is not a recent thing that they migrate at night, but more likely that
you are now more aware of them.  Many (most?) species of birds will migrate
at night, with the notable exception being the diurnal raptors (hawks).
Moon watches have been going on for a while now.  What you do is wait for
a full moon, then aim a scope or some binocs at it, and count the birds,
and sometimes even the species, as they fly across the face of the moon.

Stand outside tonight, in a quiet area, and listen carefully.  You will soon
here occasional tweets and cheeps as migrating warblers and thrushes pass
overhead.

As a side note, I saw the Empire State Building lights on not too long ago.
I thought they were supposed to be turned off during migration to prevent
migrant mortality.  Anyone know if that has changed?

Greg Pasquariello                   AT&T Product Integration Center
att!picuxa!gpasq                299 Jefferson Rd, Parsippany, NJ 07054