[rec.birds] Empire State Building lights

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/21/88)

On the subject of "Canada Geese", gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello
X1190) says:

$ It is not a recent thing that [Canada geese] migrate at night, but
$ more likely that you are now more aware of them.  Many (most?)
$ species of birds will migrate at night, with the notable exception
$ being the diurnal raptors (hawks).  Moon watches have been going
$ on for a while now.  What you do is wait for a full moon, then aim
$ a scope or some binocs at it, and count the birds, and sometimes
$ even the species, as they fly across the face of the moon.
$ [...]

Oh, I didn't think it was recent.  I only noticed it recently
because until recently, I lived in Manhattan.  Now I live in Edison,
Noo Joizy, which is near the Raritan River.  Lots of geese stop by
on the Raritan, in Johnson Park in Highland Park, NJ.

$ As a side note, I saw the Empire State Building lights on not too
$ long ago.  I thought they were supposed to be turned off during
$ migration to prevent migrant mortality.  Anyone know if that has
$ changed?

I don't see how they can turn off those lights.  They were installed
in the 30's because a plane crashed into the building.  Do geese
really fly that high?

Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (10/22/88)

In article <11141@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:

>$ As a side note, I saw the Empire State Building lights on not too
>$ long ago.  I thought they were supposed to be turned off during
>$ migration to prevent migrant mortality.  Anyone know if that has
>$ changed?
>
>I don't see how they can turn off those lights.  They were installed
>in the 30's because a plane crashed into the building.  Do geese
>really fly that high?
>
>Tom Reingold

Yes, they do fly that high, and sometimes quite a bit higher.  The problem
isn't so much with the geese however, as it is with the smaller dickiebirds.
They seem to be attracted to the artificial lights of tall buildings and
lighthouses and such.  Each year there is a very high mortality rate near these
structures, and sometimes dead birds literally cover the ground.  Although I
don't know if it is true or not, I was told that the Empire State building
was supposed to turn them off to prevent the problem.

Happy Birding!

Greg Pasquariello                   AT&T Product Integration Center
att!picuxa!gpasq                299 Jefferson Rd, Parsippany, NJ 07054