[rec.birds] W.S.J. article: army's use of birds

richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/03/88)

Did anyone else catch the story in Wed. Nov. 2nd Wall Street
Journal about the new army helicopter.  Seems that they have
developed a new helicopter engine which was "tested" by tossing
live birds into it to insure it wouldn't stall.  Any comments?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mike Richman
internet: richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
bitnet: richman%uxe.cso.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd
uucp:  {puree,convex,uunet,...}!uiucuxc!uxe!richman
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ashcraft@yale.UUCP (Cleve Ashcraft) (11/07/88)

In article <56200001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Did anyone else catch the story in Wed. Nov. 2nd Wall Street
>Journal about the new army helicopter.  Seems that they have
>developed a new helicopter engine which was "tested" by tossing
>live birds into it to insure it wouldn't stall.  Any comments?

i don't know about live birds and helicopter engines, but there was
a story i heard about boeing testing their jet engines by shooting
frozen turkeys into the engines while at full power. considering
that flocks of birds getting chewed up in jet engines can bring
down a plane, some kind of testing should be done.

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (11/07/88)

In article <56200001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Did anyone else catch the story in Wed. Nov. 2nd Wall Street
>Journal about the new army helicopter.  Seems that they have
>developed a new helicopter engine which was "tested" by tossing
>live birds into it to insure it wouldn't stall.  Any comments?
>Mike Richman

Mike, I didn't read the article, so I cannot comment on the particular
thing you are citing. However, all aircraft engines are tested for
resistance to bird strike damage as part of the FAA certification
process. The tests do not use live birds. In fact, they use
commercially obtained fowl that would have otherwise become someone's
dinner. The birds are fired at the intakes of the turbine engine as it
develops full rated power, using a pneumatic cannon. The engine must
continue to produce a substantial amount of power after ingesting the
bird(s). Nothing inhumane in this, and although the applicability of
the test to real conditions of use might be challenged, the procedure
has resulted in significant strengthening and redesign of a number of
modern aircraft engines.
 -lar
 Lar Kaufman   <= my opinions          Fidonet: 1:322/470@508-534-1842
 kaufman@multimax.arpa    {bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!kaufman

willner@cfa250.harvard.edu (Steve Willner P-316 x57123) (11/08/88)

From article <56200001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, by richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:
> [Army] developed a new helicopter engine which was "tested" by tossing
> live birds into it to insure it wouldn't stall.  Any comments?

All jet engines are tested using a special cannon that fires chicken
carcasses into them at > 100 mph.  The danger is not so much a simple
engine failure as an explosion, or at least damage that could send
shrapnel in all directions.  Airplanes do frequently strike birds,
and safe air travel requires that the consequences not be
catastrophic.  (For the airplane, anyway; it's usually fatal for the
bird!)

There is no obvious need to use live birds for this test, and I would
suspect a reporting error.
--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa