[rec.birds] red-cockaded woodpeckers

evelyn@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/15/88)

Yesterday morning I was lucky enough to see, in the tree outside my
bedroom window (in Champaign, Central Illinois) a pair of red-cockaded
woodpeckers.  They stuck around for about 10 minutes, and since they
were 10-15 feet away, in full sun and unobscured, the identification
was pretty well 100%.  Even the male's cockade was visible.

My field guide tells me that they are a very localized, endangered species,
and their range does not reach as far north as Central Illinois.  Was this
a very unusual sighting, or have things changed a little since my field
guide was published?  (I'm thrilled anyway, they are such beautiful birds!)

Fran Evelyn
evelyn@cs.uiuc.edu

robert@cogen.UUCP (Robert Kuncio) (11/17/88)

In article <12300003@m.cs.uiuc.edu> evelyn@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Yesterday morning I was lucky enough to see, in the tree outside my
>bedroom window (in Champaign, Central Illinois) a pair of red-cockaded
>woodpeckers.
>
>My field guide tells me that they are a very localized, endangered species,
>and their range does not reach as far north as Central Illinois.  Was this
>a very unusual sighting, or have things changed a little since my field
>guide was published?  (I'm thrilled anyway, they are such beautiful birds!)

In the December-January issue of _National Wildlife_ there is an article by BillLawren: "Something to Sing About," which discusses the expansion of songbird
ranges throughout the US and Canada.  Among the species mentioned were
hooded warblers, northern mockingbirds, cardinals, cliff swallows, American
robins, house finches, blue-winged warblers, golden-crowned kinglets, golden-
winged warblers, and others.  Reasons for the advance in territory range from
change in habitat by suburban encroachment to increased winter food from feedersand planted ornamentals.  Among the birds in serious decline is your red-
cockaded woodpecker, golden-cheeked warblers, black-capped vireos, Bachman's
sparrow, and scarlet tanager.  This sighting may be an 'accidental' or
stray.  It is also quite possible that the territory has shifted slightly.
I recommend the article, for those of you who can get your hands on it.

--
= Robert Kuncio  ...!{seismo,esosun,suntan,celerit}!cogen!robert              =
= "'The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; =