[rec.birds] Raygun and Wildlife

jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) (11/18/88)

In article <1291@inuxd.UUCP>, jla@inuxd.UUCP (Joyce Andrews) writes:

> I think we will find that Bush will do more for conservation than
> most people think.
> While the present administration hasn't given us much thought,

This has to be the euphemism of the century. How do you equate
"giving [conservation] much thought" with selling off federal
land, giving out more oil leases in national forests in 8 years
than all previous presidents combined, gutting the EPA financially
and appointing crooks who have nothing but disdain for the wild things
and would sell off the National Parks and allow developers to destroy
the wilderness. I think Raygun gave conservation a lot of thought. He
thought he would actively attack the wilderness and the agencies
responsible for protecting it.

> I think we will find Bush will do better.  He is
> a hunter and fisherman, and the vacation White House will be here
> in the Florida Keys, where he fishes the back country for tarpon
> and bonefish.  He has shown his concern for the Everglades.

Bush is rich enough that he can go buy his own private wilderness,
like Raygun. I would be extremely surprised to see this Fascist do
anything for the wilderness.

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (11/22/88)

Yes, I think Reagan and Bush are likely to act the very same way
on environmental issues.  Bush said, "Clean air?  I'm for clean
air" but then went on to say how many environmental programs were
not a good value for the money.

No program to preserve the environment is a good value!  No one
gains money.  Not big business, not private people.  You do it
because it's needed, not because you want to save money.  Sure Bush
is for clean air as long as he doesn't have to pay for it.

Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (11/22/88)

In article <6696@ihlpf.ATT.COM> jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) writes:

>Bush is rich enough that he can go buy his own private wilderness,
>like Raygun. I would be extremely surprised to see this Fascist do
>anything for the wilderness.

Got to agree with you there. I would say Bush has already fired the
opening round with his appointment of Sununu; the assault on the
environment commenced with the Reagan/Bush administration rewriting
the rules for certification of nuclear power plants by letting the
feds write the emergency evacuation procedures without regarding the
input or wishes of those who live near the powerplant.

 -lar

 Lar Kaufman   <= my opinions          Fidonet: 1:322/470@508-534-1842
 kaufman@multimax.arpa    {bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!kaufman

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (11/23/88)

In article <6696@ihlpf.ATT.COM> jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) writes:
>Bush is rich enough that he can go buy his own private wilderness,
>like Raygun. I would be extremely surprised to see this Fascist do
>anything for the wilderness.

Oh cut the crap.  This drivel doesn't belong in this newsgroup, no
matter what you believe.
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.ll.mit.edu]
  The Malpass Principle:  Given a binary choice, the statistical