[rec.birds] What is "Thayer's Gull" ?

snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) (11/12/88)

Recently, mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) and
gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) having been having an
interesting discussion of "Thayer's Gulls", and characteristics which
might be used to identify these birds.  For the past four years I have
been working on a PhD at utzoo which deals with hybridization and
genetic differentiation between Herring, Glaucous, Iceland and
"Thayers" gulls.  I have collected large numbers of specimens of
all these "taxa", on their breeding grounds, including colonies
on Baffin Island, Iceland, Spitzbergen, Norway, southern Europe
and the Canadian maritimes.

I have been impressed by the variability in plumage and eye-colouration
in these birds. These gulls are far more variable, morphologically, than
one would assume from reading field-guide descriptions, and more variable than
than one might assume even from reading P. Grants book on gull identification.
Unfortunately, the more northern forms (especially Iceland and "Thayer's")
breed in colonies which are difficult to reach; not a great deal is known
about them.  Certainly, their systematic relationships have been hotly
debated, and are not yet fully resolved.  As well, these birds are
only a portion of a much wider complex of white-headed gulls which
frequently hybridize with each other.

A problem with published descriptions of "Thayer's Gull" is that
they are inconsistent and largely based on winter collected specimens.
Few people have ever seen "Thayer's Gull" on their breeding
colonies.  Virtually none have ever been banded on their high arctic
colonies, either as chicks or adults.  As far as I am aware,
not a single such banded bird (if any ever existed) has ever been
recovered.  As well, not even one "Thayer's Gull" has ever been banded in
the south and later recovered at an arctic breeding colony.  Perhaps
those 1st and 2nd year birds sighted in the south really are "Thayer's Gull"
but there is no particular reason to believe it.  There is no evidence
that the various 1st and 2nd year "Thayer's Gulls" in museum collections
(the birds on which descriptions are based) actually were hatched in
cliff colonies in the Canadian high arctic.  It is generally assumed
that that was their origin, but descriptions based on such
assumptions tend to become self-fulfilling prophecies.  It may be that
many of those small young birds are merely youthful
variants of the more southerly Herring Gull.  I would argue that there is
little evidence to reject that idea.

So, what is a "Thayer's Gull"?  Almost certainly it is merely a
plumage variant of a group of northern gulls (the Iceland Gull complex)
which preferentially breed together.  Call it hybridization if you
like, but "Thayer's Gull" as well as "Kumlien's Gull" are but
variants of Iceland Gulls.  This complex varies clinally from
east to west, with lighter birds more common in the east, and darker
ones more common in the west.  There are colonies where the very light
and very dark winged ones breed together (especially on Baffin Island),
and at those colonies there is considerable interbreeding between
birds of the various plumages (see E. Godfrey's discussion of this
in the revised Birds_of_Canada, 1986).  The plumages of breeding birds
(and presumably wintering ones too) are so variable that each of these
groups blends into the other.  There is no good evidence that
"Thayer's Gull" is a `good' species.

When people see a gull which they might want to call "Thayer's Gull"
they compare that bird to pictures in books and to the self-perpetuating
descriptions of this supposed species which accompany them.
The birder finds a pigeon-hole, and stuffs it.  Tick!
I am not intending this to be a diatribe against tickers, nor against
anyone who has ticked "Thayer's Gull" on their list.  However, the process
of ticking presupposes that one can assign a bird to a specific group
which is clearly defined, and biologically meaningful (the pigeon-hole).
Usually, the pigeon-holes are thought to be `species'.  Not always.
I am quite happy to tick different morphs of birds (e.g., I have ticked
the three morphs of Parasitic Jaegers).  However, whereas the borders
around the pigeon-holes for the plumage morphs of Parasitic Jaegers are
clear, they are extremely fuzzy for the plumage variants of the
Iceland Gull.

There was a time when I too had ticked "Thayer's Gull";
I had seen a `typical' bird, so I thought, sitting at a garbage dump
up at Churchill, Manitoba, a long way from the breeding range.
Since then, I have also seen classic "Thayer's Gulls" at their
breeding colonies on Baffin Island.  I have also seen, at those colonies,
the range in plumage from the "Thayer" bird right through the
classic "Kumlien" to the classic "Iceland".

--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (11/16/88)

In article <1988Nov11.185810.22941@utzoo.uucp>, snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) writes:
 > Recently, mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) and
 > gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) having been having an
 > interesting discussion of "Thayer's Gulls", and characteristics which
 > might be used to identify these birds.  For the past four years I have
 > been working on a PhD at utzoo which deals with hybridization and
 > genetic differentiation between Herring, Glaucous, Iceland and
 > "Thayers" gulls.

	The controversy over Thayer's Gull has gone on for years, with the
bird being classified as a subspecies of Herring Gull, a subspecies of
Iceland Gull, a hybrid between the two, and a full species in its own right.
I would not be surprised if the status of this bird changed at any time.

 > Unfortunately, the more northern forms (especially Iceland and "Thayer's")
 > breed in colonies which are difficult to reach; not a great deal is known
 > about them.  Certainly, their systematic relationships have been hotly
 > debated, and are not yet fully resolved.
 >
 > So, what is a "Thayer's Gull"?  Almost certainly it is merely a
 > plumage variant of a group of northern gulls (the Iceland Gull complex)
 > which preferentially breed together.  Call it hybridization if you
 > like, but "Thayer's Gull" as well as "Kumlien's Gull" are but
 > variants of Iceland Gulls.

	Are you claiming to have fully resolved the issue, or are you
just claiming your allegiance to one side of the hot debate?

 > When people see a gull which they might want to call "Thayer's Gull"
 > they compare that bird to pictures in books and to the self-perpetuating
 > descriptions of this supposed species which accompany them.
 > The birder finds a pigeon-hole, and stuffs it.  Tick!

	Bear in mind that the pictures in books, the self-perpetuating
descriptions, and the pigeon-holes are all defined by you scientists, not
by us birders.

	Note that the American Ornithologists Union currently ranks the
Thayer's Gull as a full species. IF, and WHEN, they demote the bird to
some lesser status, it will be duly noted on the lists of birders. However,
this will not invalidate the desire of birders to identify the bird in the
field (regardless of its status), nor does it invalidate a discussion of
the characteristics by which this identification can be accomplished. If
you want to lend your knowledge and experience to this discussion, it would
be greatly appreciated. However, if you just want to rant about the difference
of opinion that you have with your peers at the A.O.U., then I suggest that
you are "barking up the wrong tree".

 > I am not intending this to be a diatribe against tickers, nor against
 > anyone who has ticked "Thayer's Gull" on their list.

	Who are you trying to kid, I know a diatribe when I see one.

Mike

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (11/20/88)

>	Bear in mind that the pictures in books, the self-perpetuating
>descriptions, and the pigeon-holes are all defined by you scientists, not
>by us birders.

Field guides are rarely written by 'scientists', and especially not by
systemmatists (sp?).  They are usually written by birders, by 'naturalists',
and/or by nature artists.

The point may be:

If Thayer's-Kumlein's-Iceland is a single species, and forms a cline
darkening to the west, with a continuum of phenotypes, then a search for
reliable field characteristics may be misguided, since there probarably *are*
no gaps between them!

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (11/23/88)

In article <2775@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes:

 > >	Bear in mind that the pictures in books, the self-perpetuating
 > >descriptions, and the pigeon-holes are all defined by you scientists, not
 > >by us birders.
 >
 > Field guides are rarely written by 'scientists', and especially not by
 > systemmatists (sp?).  They are usually written by birders, by 'naturalists',
 > and/or by nature artists.

	The source of information for the field guides with which I am
familiar is the American Ornithologist's Union checklist and the scientific
data upon which the checklist is based. Regardless of who performs the
"task" of writing the guide, the definitions ultimately come from the
scientific community. Also, many field guides have as authors, or employ as
consultants, professional scientists in the field of ornithology or wildlife
biology.

Mike