[rec.birds] Tundra Swan

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (12/01/88)

David Mostardi (mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov) writes:
> ...on Sunday I am going to Stockton to search for a bird
> called a Tundra swan, but said swan is not in my N. Amer. field
> guide.

Your field guide will probably call this bird a Whistling Swan.
This species was lumped with the far-north Bewick's Swan
recently, and Tundra Swan is the name for the new, combined form.

If you got this information off the N. Cal. Rare Bird Alert, the
bird is probably correctly identified.  However, if you see a
swan that hasn't been worked over by the experts, watch out for
Trumpeter Swan!

If you see *any* swan in the west, take pictures if possible, and
also note carefully the exact configuration of the bill and head.
The characters that separate Tundra from Trumpeter swans involve
the extent and position of light colors on the bill and also the
extent of feathering near where the base of the upper mandible
joins the forehead.  Sketch the entire head if possible.

Don't rely on field guides to make this distinction; even the new
National Geographic guide has some problems here.  Submit your
records to experts, and even then they may not be able to tell.

--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from