[rec.birds] Tundra Swans

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (12/03/88)

In article <1328@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:

 > For example, on Sunday I am going to Stockton to search for a bird
 > called a Tundra swan, but said swan is not in my N. Amer. field
 > guide -- but for the company of an experienced birder, how could
 > I identify this swan?

	I was out in the Stockton area two weekends ago chasing a Spotted
Redshank and a Little Gull. I missed both of the vagrants, but on the way
back I went via highway 4 west from interstate 5. After some miles (I'm
not sure how far exactly) I passed a field that had an estimated 2500
Tundra Swans. Another spot that might produce swans is the end of Woodbridge
Rd. west of I-5, where it deadends in the delta. Although Trumpeter Swan is
a possibility, there's probably a 99% chance that any swan you see is a
Tundra. Sandhill Cranes should be quite numerous as well.

	If you have the time and the inclination, you may want to stop and
see the Bendire's Thrasher in Lodi (oh lord, stuck here in Lodi again). The
bird was first seen on a Christmas Bird Count four years ago and is back for
its third year. It is in the Pyrocantha (sp?) hedge next to the driveway of
333 Jahant Rd. Jahant is just north of the town of Lodi on highway 99. Go
west from 99 on Jahant until the road seemingly ends in a "T" intersection.
Turn right and in about 30 yards Jahant picks up to the left (west) again.
The house is about a mile further up Jahant.

Mike