[rec.birds] telescopes

e299-ao@sim.uucp (Brenda Baker) (11/29/88)

My Mother is trying to decide on a telescope to buy for bird watching.
We've looked at the Discoverer by Bausch and Lomb and were not very
impressed.  She has also looked at the Renaissance by Televue.  Does
any one have any comments on it or any other brands?

Brenda Baker
e299-ao@sim.berkeley.edu

gss@edsdrd.eds.com (Gary Schiltz) (11/30/88)

In article <7823@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, e299-ao@sim.uucp (Brenda Baker) writes:
> My Mother is trying to decide on a telescope to buy for bird watching.
> We've looked at the Discoverer by Bausch and Lomb and were not very
> impressed.  She has also looked at the Renaissance by Televue.  Does
> any one have any comments on it or any other brands?

My wife Karen and I were also in the market for a spotting scope a couple
of years ago, and eventually bought a Bushnell Spacemaster II (the old
standby).  It has a 60 mm objective lens that is very bright.  We got
it with a 20X wide-angle eyepiece.  It has a bright, sharp image, and
had a reasonable price at the time (under $250 locally).  The only
reservation I have about it is that it doesn't focus as close as I'd like.

Just after we bought the scope, Bushnell discontinued it in favor of a
new "improved" (and even less expensive) Spacemaster II.  The new scope
featurs a square body, a 70 mm objective lens with "insta-focus", the
rocker arm focusing bar.  This scope is much heavier than the old
Spacemaster II, so I wouldn't want to lug it around a marsh all day.
Also, with a 22X wide-angle lens, is much LESS bright than the old model.
Since the bigger objective lens should make the image brighter (even with
the 2 extra power eyepiece), and since the scope is cheaper, I have to
assume it is made with cheaper optics (probably inferior lens coatings).
I don't like the insta-focus, but Karen does.  Overall, I wouldn't reccommend
the new model.  And, just lately, I've heard that Bushnell has discontinued
the "new improved" model in favor of the "old improved" model.  Anyway, I'd
stay away from the 70 mm models that may remain out there.  I haven't seen
the new version of the old model, so I can't comment on it, other than to say
that if it is as good as the one I bought, at a comparable price, it would
still be a good buy.

We also looked at the Bausch & Lomb Discoverer, and were similarly unimpressed.

We also looked at some other brands (I don't remember model numbers):

  Celestron (60 mm) - Not the stargazing type, but one that looked almost
    exactly like the Spacemaster II.  It seemed to have pretty good optics,
    but not as clear as the Spacemaster II.  It was about $50 cheaper than
    the Spacemaster II, though.

  Nikon (60 mm) - This was a very nice scope.  It focused very closely, and had
    even clearer optics than the Spacemaster II.  It was, however, much
    more expensive (the cheapest price I could find at the New York camera
    mail-order stores was almost $300).  Since I wanted to buy it locally,
    I decided on the less expensive Spacemaster II.

  Kowa (60 mm) - This was another nice scope for about the same price (or a
    little cheaper) as the Spacemaster II.  It focused closer than ours, but
    the optics seemed just a little less sharp.  If the "old improved"
    Spacemaster II has degraded in quality since reintroduction, the Kowa may
    be the better buy.

  Swift (60 mm) - This is an interesting scope.  The rear of the scope twists
    so that one of two attached eyepieces (20X and 45X, I think) can be used
    without changing lenses.  This offers a much crisper image than a zoom
    eyepiece.  The price was a little higher than the Spacemaster II and Kowa,
    and it was also quite a bit heavier (although still much lighter than the
    "hunk of mud" 70 mm Spacemaster II.

Anyway, I've rambled long enough.  Hope this helps, and good luck in your
search.  I'm posting this instead of emailing it, since traffic on rec.birds
has been light lately, and this might be of general interest.

BTW, did my posting on differeitiation between Common and Forster's Terns
ever make it out?  I've never received any responses.

---

     /\   What cheer,  /\       | Gary Schiltz, EDS R&D, 3551 Hamlin Road |
    / o<    cheer,    <o \      | Auburn Hills, MI  48057, (313) 370-1737 |
\\/ ) /     cheer,     \ ( \//  |                                         |
   \ /      cheer!!!    \ /     |       "Have bird will watch ..."        |

gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (11/30/88)

In article <7823@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> e299-ao@sim.UUCP (Brenda Baker) writes:
-My Mother is trying to decide on a telescope to buy for bird watching.
-We've looked at the Discoverer by Bausch and Lomb and were not very
-impressed.  She has also looked at the Renaissance by Televue.  Does
-any one have any comments on it or any other brands?
-
-Brenda Baker
-e299-ao@sim.berkeley.edu

A friend of mine has a Discoverer... I wear glasses and can barely see through
it!

I own a Nikon scope.  It was priced about $300 (I think), is _VERY_ clear, and
has a rather quick, easy to use focus adjustment.  You can buy the Nikon scope
with special lenses (I don't know if they are coated or made with special
glass), but the price is almost twice as much.  Unless you are trying to see
feather mites at dusk, I would go with the cheaper model.

Be aware that, almost as important as the scope, is your choice of tripod.
I believe that in an upcoming issue of Birding, there is a very good article
on tripod selection by Rich Ditch (Hi Rich).  If you don't get the magazine,
or it's not in the next issue or so, drop me a note, and I will send a copy
of the article.

Greg
By the time they had diminished from 		  Greg Pasquariello AT&T PMTC
50 to 8, the dwarves began to suspect Hungry.	  att!picuxa!gpasq

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (12/03/88)

In article <7823@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, e299-ao@sim.uucp (Brenda Baker) writes:
 > My Mother is trying to decide on a telescope to buy for bird watching.
 > We've looked at the Discoverer by Bausch and Lomb and were not very
 > impressed.  She has also looked at the Renaissance by Televue.  Does
 > any one have any comments on it or any other brands?

	One of the more popular brands of scope that I have seen is the
Bushnell Spacemaster II. It has a 60 mm objective lens and accommodates
screw-on eye pieces. I don't know if it comes with a standard eye piece
or if you have to purchase it separately. The most popular eye piece
seems to be the 25x, but the scope can be fitted with higher magnification
eye pieces or even a zoom lens. I own one of these and am quite happy
with it.

	There are other manufacturers who make functionally equivalent
scopes to the one above, including Celestron and Kowa. Kowa even makes
one with a 70 mm objective lens, for even brighter images. Some of the
Kowa model numbers are TSN2 and TSN4 (I think).

	Then again, if you're rich, you may want to consider a 3.5 inch
aperture Questar. It shouldn't run you more than about $4000. :-)

Good luck,

Mike

matt@marge.math.binghamton.edu (matt brin) (12/04/88)

In article <7823@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> e299-ao@sim.UUCP (Brenda Baker) writes:
>My Mother is trying to decide on a telescope to buy for bird watching.
>We've looked at the Discoverer by Bausch and Lomb and were not very
>impressed.  She has also looked at the Renaissance by Televue.  Does
>any one have any comments on it or any other brands?

I have had a Bushnell spotting scope (60mm diam front lense and 10 to 60
power eyepieces available) and have enjoyed it immensely.  (The front lens
is not good enough to support the 60 power eyepiece by the way.  The "total
visual information" does not increase much over the 25 power.  I would
recommend the 25 power if you get only one.)  It cost about $125 over a
dozen years ago.  I do not know the "discoverer" and cannot tell you how the
spotting scope compares.  None of these scopes can be used successfully
withouut a tripod.  Birding is usually an outdoor activity, and put tripods
in their worst situations (high winds) a lot.  Take your newly purchased
scope with you when you shop for a tripod, and try the scope out on the
floor models.  See how much wiggle you can see through the scope when you
gently tap the pod.  Zero wiggle is not possible - you are searching for a
minumum.  Best pods for strength vs weight are Gitzo's, but they are killers
in price.  Bogens are good but weigh like tanks.  Do not skimp on the
tripod.

matt brin / math. dept / SUNY / Binghamton, NY 13901
matt@marge.math.binghamton.edu      INTERNET
fac119@bingvaxb.bitnet              BITNET

morel@m-net.UUCP (Mike Smerza) (12/07/88)

In article <33579@oliveb.olivetti.com>, mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
> 	Then again, if you're rich, you may want to consider a 3.5 inch
> aperture Questar. It shouldn't run you more than about $4000. :-)

I've been using a Celestron C-90 (90mm aperture, which is about 3.5 inches)
for several years and really enjoy using it.  I recently purchased a 24mm
wide angle eyepiece for it, which is about 40x, and I love the brightness,
clarity and wide field of view.  And best of all, it cost nowhere near
$4000.  It was about $300 when I bought it, though they're probably in the
$5-600 range now.  (Oh yeah, I also use it as a 1000mm telephoto lens at
times.)