[rec.birds] western birding

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (12/02/88)

Greg, if I had a week to bird in the "west", and the company was
willing to fly me to Texas, I'd spend the entire week in Texas, most
or all of it in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.  Pick up a copy of Lane's
'A Birder's Guide to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas,' and thumb through
it.  February or March would be a good time.  A little later, I am
very fond of southeastern Arizona--the Chiricahua Mts., or around
Nogales.  Lucky you!

--Jim Rising
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (12/07/88)

In article <1988Dec2.135214.1631@utzoo.uucp> rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) writes:
-Greg, if I had a week to bird in the "west", and the company was
-willing to fly me to Texas, I'd spend the entire week in Texas, most
-or all of it in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.  Pick up a copy of Lane's
-'A Birder's Guide to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas,' and thumb through
-it.  February or March would be a good time.  A little later, I am
-very fond of southeastern Arizona--the Chiricahua Mts., or around
-Nogales.  Lucky you!
-
---Jim Rising

Thanks Jim, and thanks to all who responded.  I think I will spend the time
in Texas.  I picked up Lane's book this weekend, and it does indeed sound like
the place to be.

Some complete bast*rd stole my binocs late last week.  I went out and (despite
the protest of my wife) layed down the money for a good pair of Leitz 7x35's.
WOW!  I was COMPLETELY happy with a pair of Pentax binocs that I bought on
my honeymoon (yes, really), but these Leitz are amazing!  They are the brightest
that I have ever seen!  If you are really serious about birding, and you can
scrape together the cash (unfortunately they aren't cheap) I would recommend
them wholeheartedly!

Happy birding...
Greg

By the time they had diminished from 		  Greg Pasquariello AT&T PMTC
50 to 8, the dwarves began to suspect Hungry.	  att!picuxa!gpasq

geek@mit-amt (Chris Schmandt) (12/08/88)

In article <715@picuxa.UUCP> gpasq@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>Some complete bast*rd stole my binocs late last week.  I went out and (despite
>the protest of my wife) layed down the money for a good pair of Leitz 7x35's.
>WOW!

Enjoy!  I bought mine years ago and they changed the way I see (especially
at dawn/dusk).  If you're spending that kind of money, though, I'd seriously
consider the "armored" variant.  I'm a backpacker and my 7x35BA's have
been through some tough times with me without a trace of damage.
Excellent glasses.