[rec.birds] Birds of Prey

jrcst4@cisunx.UUCP (James R. Christman) (01/31/89)

Hello,

     This is my first posting, so please bear with me.  I am extremely
interested in birds of prey.  I live in the Pittsburgh area, and would like
to know if there is anywhere around me that I can go to see them up close.
Also, I would like to get accurate information on owning and raising birds of
prey.  If anyone has any information at all on the subject, I would really like
to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jim Christman    jrcst4@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/01/89)

In article <15450@cisunx.UUCP>, jrcst4@cisunx.UUCP (James R. Christman) writes:

 > Hello,
 >
 >     This is my first posting, so please bear with me.  I am extremely
 >interested in birds of prey.  I live in the Pittsburgh area, and would like
 >to know if there is anywhere around me that I can go to see them up close.
 >Also, I would like to get accurate information on owning and raising birds of
 >prey. If anyone has any information at all on the subject, I would really like
 >to hear from you.

	I don't know about the Pittsburgh area, but owning and raising birds of
prey is illegal without a license from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. These
licenses are generally given to bird-banding operations and wildlife rehab
centers.

	What you could do is contact your local rehabilitation center and do
volunteer work for them. If you build a decent aviary at home and become
proficient at caring for birds of prey, they might let you do some of the rehab
at your home under the jurisdiction of their license.

Mike

slavar@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Leonard) (02/04/89)

In article <37029@oliveb.olivetti.com>, mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
> In article <15450@cisunx.UUCP>, jrcst4@cisunx.UUCP (James R. Christman) writes:
>  >
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  >     This is my first posting, so please bear with me.  I am extremely
>  >interested in birds of prey.  I live in the Pittsburgh area, and would like
>  >to know if there is anywhere around me that I can go to see them up close.
>  >Also, I would like to get accurate information on owning and raising birds of
>  >prey. If anyone has any information at all on the subject, I would really like
>  >to hear from you.
>
> 	I don't know about the Pittsburgh area, but owning and raising birds of
> prey is illegal without a license from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. These
> licenses are generally given to bird-banding operations and wildlife rehab
> centers.
>
> 	What you could do is contact your local rehabilitation center and do
> volunteer work for them. If you build a decent aviary at home and become
> proficient at caring for birds of prey, they might let you do some of the rehab
> at your home under the jurisdiction of their license.
>
> Mike

I must disagree with Mike's statements. I am a former falconer. A
former falconer because of my limited time to properly care for my
birds (a family and job can do that to you).

I Pennsylvania, where I lived until moving to Illinois, you must be
licensed by the the Pennsylvania State Game Commission.  Now this is
not as easy as it seems.

First, you must construct proper housing facilities for your birds
as well as proper weathering area protected from other hawks, owls,
cats, dogs, and other predators. These requirements are defined in
regulations from the Game Commission.

Second, you must be a member of any one of a number of falconer
associations.  The best one is the North American Falconer's
Association (which to the best of my knowledge both Dr. Heinz Meng,
and Tom Cade (Cornell University Peregrine Falcon Project) are or
were members). The association with other falconers is more
important than it may seem. I will elucidate on this in the next
requirement.

Third, if you become a falconer, you spend the first couple of years
as an apprentice falconer with a falconer or master falconer as a
mentor (note the importance of point two). This mentor is generally
a personal acquaintance with the time to help you with the problems
you may encounter, and his record of caring for birds is known to
both the association and the Game Commission.

Fourth, once your facilities have been inspected and approved, your
mentor agrees and is approved, you now have to make your
application. If your application is accepted, you may now take your
written test (given twice yearly).  This test is designed to measure
your knowledge of raptor physiology, anatomy, epidemiology,
nutrition, and training techniques. This knowledge is gained through
the study of many texts and personal instruction (My favorite text
is A Treatise on the Art of Falconry, by the Holy Roman Emperor,
Friedreich Barbarossa von Hapsburg).

If you pass this test, which also meets U.S. Fish and Wildlife
requirements, you are issued your novice or apprentice falconer's
license.

Now, what type of bird are you entitled to use and, where do you
acquire your bird? Well, for the first two years, you may only have
an American Kestrel (Sparrow Hawk) or a Red-Tailed Hawk (Buteo
jamaicensis (sp?)). With these you must demonstrate your proficiency
in caring for and training of the bird.  Then your apprenticeship is
completed and you become a falconer.  As a falconer, you may use
various other species of raptors except eagles and peregrine
falcons (my favorite was a merlin). These birds are acquired
though the removal of the bird from the wild at specific times
regulated by law, or when you get your master rating you may be able
to acquire a peregrine-gyrfalcon, peregrine-prairie falcon hybrid
from a captive breeding project.

At any time you posses a bird, your facilities are subject to
inspection with very little or no prior notice. Records of your
birds are kept by the Game Commission and if you are deficient, your
license is revoked and your birds removed from your care pending a
hearing.

In the midwest there is the Great Lakes Falconer's Association,
located in Warrenville, IL.

I know this was a long article, but I do understand the concerns of
conservationists as well as the motives of the falconry
community. I wanted to show that falconers are regulated and
dedicated to the birds.  After all, if there weren't any raptors,
there wouldn't be any falconry.

Terry L. Leonard
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL 60540
312/979-3482

kan@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Casali) (02/07/89)

> >  >     This is my first posting, so please bear with me.  I am extremely
> >  >interested in birds of prey.  I live in the Pittsburgh area, and would like
> >  >to know if there is anywhere around me that I can go to see them up close.
> >  >Also, I would like to get accurate information on owning and raising birds of
> >  >prey. If anyone has any information at all on the subject, I would really like
> >  >to hear from you.
> >
> > 	I don't know about the Pittsburgh area, but owning and raising birds of
> > prey is illegal without a license from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. These
> > licenses are generally given to bird-banding operations and wildlife rehab
> > centers.
> >
> > 	What you could do is contact your local rehabilitation center and do
> > volunteer work for them. If you build a decent aviary at home and become
> > proficient at caring for birds of prey, they might let you do some of the rehab
> > at your home under the jurisdiction of their license.
> >
> > Mike
>

> I must disagree with Mike's statements. I am a former falconer. A
> former falconer because of my limited time to properly care for my
> birds (a family and job can do that to you).

I think you are talking two different things. I kept an injured
Red tail and a rough legged under the jurisdiction of
the local animal control center. They did inspect the
facilities and bird. They set up the medical appointments
and provided some of the food. We supplemented the food
with live food for the red tail since he was released
(a broke wing that healed). The rough legged had a
apputated wing and was blind in one eye. We supplimented
their food for a more varied diet (dead rabbits, mice,
etc) instead of dead chicks. We got the rough legged
because some nut went into their wildlife zoo and shot
or stole most of the animals. Since we were on
record for keeping and releasing the red tail, they
gave us the other hawk. We kept him until he died
(he was very old at the time they gave him to us).
There was no formal training other than working with the control
officier at first. I think what Terry was talking
about was a falcon license involving bird training
etc not just caring for hurt birds.

		Kathy

donndeli@sunburn.aero.org (James Donndelinger) (02/11/89)

In article <15450@cisunx.UUCP> jrcst4@cisunx.UUCP (James R. Christman) writes:

>     This is my first posting, so please bear with me.  I am extremely
>interested in birds of prey.  I live in the Pittsburgh area, and would like
>to know if there is anywhere around me that I can go to see them up close.
>Also, I would like to get accurate information on owning and raising birds of
>prey.  If anyone has any information at all on the subject, I would really like
>to hear from you.

Your best bet is to contact the PA Department of Fish and Game (that
might not be the actual name, in CA it's DFG, in WI it's Department of
Natural Resources but you get the idea).  They can provide you with a
list of General and Master Falconers in your area.  As stated in an
earlier posting, you will have to pass a written test and have your facilities
inspected.  You will also need to have a sponser(a General or Master)
for two years.  During this period you are an apprentice and your
sponser must report each year on your progress and performance.  If
you satisfy your sponser after two years you become a general
Falconer.  The concept of "owning" a raptor is fuzzy.  States vary on
the rules, but most feel you don't own the bird, it belongs to the
state.  There are some exceptions to this, as in captive bred birds and
hybrids.  The purpose of Falconry is not to own an exotic pet, but to
pursue (and sometimes catch) game in the field.  It is quite
exhilarating to watch a bird you have trained to chase game in the
field.  It is the most natural form of hunting and does not leave
crippled game behind.  Also, the game taken is never wasted, either
the Falconer or the bird or both enjoy the spoils.  I've been a
Falconer for 6 years and expect to get my Master Falconers permit next
year.

~Jim