[rec.birds] Eurasian Birds in N.A.

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (02/20/89)

I suspect that many Eurasian birds that appear regularly in N.A.
really breed locally here.  Indeed, this has been documented in
some instances.  Sharp-tailed Sandpiper is rare in the summer
in western Alaska, and probably breeds there in low density.
Curlew Sandpiper is a rare breeder in northern AK.  Ruff has
been found breeding in northwestern AK and territorial & displaying
at Churchill.  Black-headed Gull has been found breeding in Newfoundland.
And, of course, breeding Little Gulls are well documented.
To my knowledge, there are as of yet no N.A. breeding records of Lesser
Black-backed Gull, but this species is increasing in N.A. rapidly, and
I'd bet breeds here somewhere.
So far as I know there are no N. A. breeding records of
either Tufted Duck or Eurasian Wigeon, but the latter species surely
must breed here somewhere.  Eurasian Wigeon is regular in migration and
winter in southern Ontario (though I've never seen one), and along the
west coast; it is less common I'd judge from what I read in the east than
in the west.  There are two records that I know of of Tufted Duck in
Ontario, and I actually saw one of those, in the midst of a bunch of
scaup.  Both of these records were in the 1980s, but I am not certain
that that suggests that they are increasing.

--Jim Rising
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (02/21/89)

I don't have the reference right here in front of me, but I'm
fairly sure _American Birds_ has printed several reports of
Eurasian Wigeon breeding in Alaska, and possibly as far south as
coastal Washington.  It shouldn't be too hard to find wintering
in northern California: try Golden Gate Park (southernmost lake
in Chain of Lakes has been good).

[I have been having considerable trouble with my newsfeed, so if
anyone sees this, please acknowledge by e-mail, because my last
30 postings have gone into the bit bucket.]
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (02/25/89)

In article <1958@nmtsun.nmt.edu> john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>I don't have the reference right here in front of me, but I'm
>fairly sure _American Birds_ has printed several reports of
>Eurasian Wigeon breeding in Alaska, and possibly as far south as
>coastal Washington.   ...

The A.O.U. Check-list (1983) lists no breeding record of Eurasian
Wigeon from North America.  I do not recall reading of confirmation
anywhere, either.  They are fairly common in southwestern British
Columbia in winter, perhaps 1 in 200, so a large wigeon flock often
includes 1 or 2.  And, most of the females presumably go unrecorded.

There are very few (if any?) summer records in that region, and I assume
that if they breed in North America at all, it would be in western and/or
northern Alaska.

David Mark
dmark@cw.buffalo.edu

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/27/89)

In article <1958@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
 > I don't have the reference right here in front of me, but I'm
 > fairly sure _American Birds_ has printed several reports of
 > Eurasian Wigeon breeding in Alaska, and possibly as far south as
 > coastal Washington.  It shouldn't be too hard to find wintering
 > in northern California: try Golden Gate Park (southernmost lake
 > in Chain of Lakes has been good).

	I don't know about nesting records, especially in the lower
48 states, but Eurasian Wigeon is certainly a "relatively" numerous
wintering bird in coastal central California. The sightings seem to
have increased in recent years and I'm not sure if this is due to an
actual increase in the population or more skilled and alert observers.
At one point, the Northern California Rare Bird Alert put out this
transcript; "Eurasian Wigeon sightings are too numerous to mention."

Mike