[rec.birds] Bird food that sparrows, starlings, etc. don't like.

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (03/23/89)

I live in a very built-up urban area, and about 90% of the birds I see there
are Rock Doves (Domestic Pigeons), Starlings, and English Sparrows.  Yet I do
sometimes see nifty things like finches.

I'd like to set up a bird feeding station, but I'm NOT interested in feeding
the dull aerial armies of urban North America.  Is there some type of
food--such as certain types of seed--that English Sparrows, Starlings, and
Pigeons will NOT eat?  Is there a way to design a station that will exclude
these species?  I'd be willing to try something even if it excludes many other
types as well.  But to me, I'd rather not contribute to the City Bird
population explosion.

If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.  E-mail rather than (or in addition
to) post, as our net feed is in flames and I rarely get to see this group.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (03/24/89)

In article <5616@brspyr1.BRS.Com> miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:

>I live in a very built-up urban area, and about 90% of the birds I see there
>are Rock Doves (Domestic Pigeons), Starlings, and English Sparrows.  Yet I do
>sometimes see nifty things like finches.
>
>I'd like to set up a bird feeding station, but I'm NOT interested in feeding
>the dull aerial armies of urban North America.  Is there some type of
>food--such as certain types of seed--that English Sparrows, Starlings, and
>Pigeons will NOT eat?
     Lots of luck. These birds will eat just about anything, except
the sparrows will have problems with things like chickpeas.

>Is there a way to design a station that will exclude
>these species?  I'd be willing to try something even if it excludes many other
>types as well.  But to me, I'd rather not contribute to the City Bird
>population explosion.
     This is your best bet. Don't give the birds a large, convenient
perch to stand on - that will discourage doves - and a deeply
recessed, narrow access to the feeder will discourage the sparrows
(but probably not keep them out). Get used to the starlings. They are
marvelously efficient birds, capable of filling a broad range of
ecological niches. Actually, they are kinda pretty, close up, too.

>If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.  E-mail rather than (or in addition
>to) post, as our net feed is in flames and I rarely get to see this group.

     If you have your feeder far enough away from suitable nesting
areas, the sparrows won't bother you. They can find food closer to
"home." The rock doves and starlings are much more far-ranging. The
only control that really works for them is (do it, do it!) to build a
suitable nesting platform on a high point so that falcons can nest
near their favorite foods...

   -lar

 "When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions."
                                       - Shakespeare, _Hamlet_ IV, 5

 Lar Kaufman <= my opinions                       kaufman@Encore.com