[rec.birds] Can you help me?

gamcbride@trillium.waterloo.edu (-) (03/26/89)

Can you help me?

I have four days to do some bird watching (Apr. 13-16).
I am looking for areas close to Waterloo, Ont. (within 2 hrs. drive).
Any suggestions...

Jerry McBride

jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Kin Wah Lee) (03/26/89)

In article <12693@watdragon.waterloo.edu> gamcbride@trillium.waterloo.edu (-) writes:
>Can you help me?
>
>I have four days to do some bird watching (Apr. 13-16).
>I am looking for areas close to Waterloo, Ont. (within 2 hrs. drive).
>Any suggestions...

There are a number of places to which you could go.  It really depends
on what you want to see.  If a 2 hour drive is really your limit, you
could probably go as far as Second Marsh in Oshawa.  This is right off
Hwy. 401 (in fact you drive by it), and is good for ducks and
shorebirds.  In Toronto, you might also try the Leslie St. spit, which
besides having the dubious honour of hosting the world's largest
breeding colony of ring-billed gulls, also may have some interesting
stuff.

Closer to home, roaming the backroads around the Guelph/Listowel area
could be as fruitful as travelling to one spot.  A few years ago,
during a long cold spell, we saw a good variety of owls (including
great grays) in addition to the normal winter/spring fare.

If you have four days off, why stick close to home?  It could be
really worth your while to check out Long Point, or even the Point
Pelee-Rondeau area, and you can camp in any of the provincial parks.

What ever you decide, happy birding!

JIM