[rec.birds] Reducing Black Birds

doug@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (douglas.j.botkin) (04/06/89)

I recently put up a new bird feeder in my back yard, which the black
birds apparently love.  I am currently filling it with sunflower seeds.

The problem is that there are so many blackbirds around that I don't
seem to be attracting much else.  Also, those guys can go through a
feeder full of seed in about a day.

I don't want to kill the birds; is there anyway (another food perhaps)
to encourage a VARIETY of birds to visit my backyard.  I would love
to attract the cardinals and jays in my area.

Thanks,

Doug Botkin

kan@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Casali) (04/08/89)

In article <428@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, doug@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (douglas.j.botkin) writes:

> I recently put up a new bird feeder in my back yard, which the black
> birds apparently love.  I am currently filling it with sunflower seeds.
>
> The problem is that there are so many blackbirds around that I don't
> seem to be attracting much else.  Also, those guys can go through a
> feeder full of seed in about a day.
>
> I don't want to kill the birds; is there anyway (another food perhaps)
> to encourage a VARIETY of birds to visit my backyard.  I would love
> to attract the cardinals and jays in my area.

There are feeders like the hanging tubes that larger birds
(including cardinals and jays ) dont use. The larger birds
will eat what is spilled on the ground. The black birds
prefer shelf feeders. I only use the shelf feeder during the
winter when the black birds are not around. The tube feeders
(attracts chickadees, titmouses, sparows, & finches) I use
all year round.