[rec.birds] Cockatoos...

) (04/28/89)

In article <1560002@hpfcmr.HP.COM> ron@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Ron Miller) writes:

>Cockatoos are the most "big baby" - like of the the parrots. Weaning
>them (or any other human imprinted bird) can be fairly difficult.
>
>BTW, Cockatoos are reported to be very, very demanding of attention. This
>may be just the beginning :-)

Hehehe...I know of this one Maluccan Cockatoo that's exactly the opposite
of being starved for attention; he's always is such a pissy mood.   I just
walk up to the cage and look at him for a bit, about to give him a seed,
and his peach-colored plume shoots up as he emits numerous hisses.  I visit
him (and an adorable military macaw...   :)  ) every day, and he still acts
this way.  He DOES act like a brat, though.  I usually pet the macaw (whose
cage is right next to the cockatoo's), and whenever he sees this, the
cockatoo starts hissing, and tries to come over...but doesn't want to be
touched.  I don't quite understand him...

--Elaine!	:)