[rec.birds] What the heck is it?

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (05/09/89)

Hi to all who read rec.birds,  I am sort of new to the news group.
I generally read rec.pets but I had a question for the REAL bird
people.

Anyway,  I am trying to identify a bird that has been frequenting
my yard and am having trouble.  First i'll describe the environment.
My property is surounded by woodlands.  Across the street is a large
pond.  I should say there are 4 ponds all with in 1/4 square mile of
me as well as a small, mucky one on my property.  I have been seeing
this new bird around and he looks like this:

Long beak, long legs and he stands about 15 inches tall with his neck
extented.  His main body is a slate blue or green I am not sure I cant
get close enough to see.  His head i believe is brown with the back of
his head the feathers look roufly, I don't know how else to describe that.
uffly

I meant to say ruffely above.  Looking at him from the front there are
3 or 4 beige stripes down his throat ending at the top of his chest.

OK, aare there any guesses as to what he is?  One other thing I forgot
to mention,  I have seen him walking on top of the pond/muck hunting
for his food and I am not sure if they are bugs, salamand baby fish
or what ever.

I am looking forward to any educated guesses!
I would appreciate e-mail because I don't frequent this newsgroup.
Thankyou in advance.
Nora
whuxr!nym

geek@mit-amt (Chris Schmandt) (05/10/89)

In article <577@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
>Long beak, long legs and he stands about 15 inches tall with his neck
>extented.  His main body is a slate blue or green I am not sure I cant
>get close enough to see.  His head i believe is brown with the back of
>
>I meant to say ruffely above.  Looking at him from the front there are
>3 or 4 beige stripes down his throat ending at the top of his chest.

She doesn't bother to tell us where she lives (AT&T is
*everywhere*) not does she read the group,
but...
I'd guess Louisiana Heron without any more info.
anyone else?

chris

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (05/10/89)

In article <3771@mit-amt>, geek@mit-amt (Chris Schmandt) writes:
 > In article <577@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
 > >Long beak, long legs and he stands about 15 inches tall with his neck
 > >extented.  His main body is a slate blue or green I am not sure I cant
 > >get close enough to see.  His head i believe is brown with the back of
 > >
 > >I meant to say ruffely above.  Looking at him from the front there are
 > >3 or 4 beige stripes down his throat ending at the top of his chest.
 >
 > I'd guess Louisiana Heron without any more info.
 > anyone else?

	How about Green Backed Heron? The environment and size described
seem better for this bird than for Tricolored Heron (Louisiana Heron),
which is more of a coastal salt water bird.

Mike

judi@athena.mit.edu (Judith Provost) (05/10/89)

Depending on what area she lives, could be either:
Louisiana Heron, or Reddish Egret.

                Peace,
                Judith